I'm at my wits end...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccblazer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Really need advice.
I have posted before about my 30 gallon tall bow front tank. its 4 months now and i am running out of patients and money.
I cannot keep corals, shrimp, crabs, snails an numerous fish. They die in my tank, and fast, not more than a day. Only fish i amble to keep alive are 2 clowns and one yellow dart fish. They are alive but seem listless, swimming near tank bottom.
It was suggested before to add more lighting for the corals. I did, i now have 2 sets of T5HO. first soft coral went into the tank and never opened again.
Inadequate water flow. So went to larger pump and a second supply line. Lots of flow. Invertebrates all dead within a day. coral dead too. Yesterday one coral beauty and one wrasse dead within 6 hours. OK, low oxygenated water possibly?
I added a third power-head to the tank to move around the surface water. No change.
Water perimeters are within line. ammonia showing 0 but i am getting skeptical. no nitrite, no nitrate. PH level around 8.2. KH at 12 dKH. Calcium at 500mg/L. Salinity 1.025. tmp. 78.F
i have a sump of 20 gallons with rubble rock and started my tank with live rock.
Something drastic is happening. everything dies fast except my clowns and dart fish.
i am attaching pics for reference purposes. My most recent dead fish can be seen behind spongebobs house. dies last night.

Attachments

• tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 133
  • tank2.jpg
    tank2.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 292
  • tank3.jpg
    tank3.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 143
can you get a different test kit and test the water parameters again? or take the water sample to a lfs and have them test it. i don't trust your readings for some reason.

Yes I will do that. It really sounds like ammonia posioning. I have taken a sample before and it read 0 at the store. I will have it retested. And let you know.

still need an answer. i bought ammonia test strips and they too register 00. ammonia.
it must be something else. did i mention that before the fish died they were gasping for air, but not at the top.

I use the drip method over about 45 minutes. i don't know how to check for voltage and wouldn't that kill the fish that are alive?

My first reaction is possibly you are getting some chemical leakage from the artificial decorations

What kind of water do you use? Have you tested the Tds before you do water changes? Must be something in the water to kill fish, inverts and corals.

i believe you are right, something in the water. the water comes from my 3 stage filter system but i haven't checked it for problems. i will do that today.
i doubt its the ornaments as this problem was around well before i put any in. can't really blame spongebob then.
thanks for the help. i will gert back to you later with fresh water results.

You can get stickers that leave in tank for ammonia so saves testing, will show you if it goes up.

If you have a uv sterilizer, check to make sure the glass sleeve isn't leaking.
I don't know if this is an issue, but I did notice the brass shutoffs you have. Perhaps they could be leaching some copper or other metal?
Just throwing it out there.

Thanks. You might me right about the copper. I do have a UV light. Don't think that the problem but I will check.

Do you think the meals are the cause? I have several metal car clamps in the water (one seems to be rusting) holding the piping in place and I also have 2 metal shut off valves and a metal back-flow valve.
It is a fairly big job to replace it all with plastic but if it allows me to keep corals and fish as well as invertebrates (they all die on me within a day) then i will change things over.
Please advise.

I agree...Lose the metal shutoffs. I would start there. If they are leaching something, it may have ruined the rock in the system, and that may need to be removed as well.

Do you think the meals are the cause? I have several metal car clamps in the water (one seems to be rusting) holding the piping in place and I also have 2 metal shut off valves and a metal back-flow valve.
It is a fairly big job to replace it all with plastic but if it allows me to keep corals and fish as well as invertebrates (they all die on me within a day) then i will change things over.
Please advise.

Two dissimilar metals in contact with an electrolyte (saltwater) basically creates a battery and one metal will pull ions from the other metal into the solution - per my son.

Back
Top Bottom