Injured Marble Star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbro

Aquarium Advice Regular
This poor guy doesn't look good. I can't think of anything in my tank that would do this. The best news I can hear from anybody is that it is some kind of normal process, but I don't think so. Is there anything I can do for him?

Attachments

• injured_marble_star_sm.jpg
    injured_marble_star_sm.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 140
what I am referring to is the red "guts" that are coming out from the middle of him. sorry i didn't state that before.

From underneath or above? I can't tell from the pic.

Some stars digest foods outside their body by extending the gut. They expell the stomach over the food source dissolving it and then take it back in to feed.

If from on top of the star, it may be a sign of damage.

Cheers
Steve

yes, it's from the top. I do hear unexplainable "clicking" every now and then. I hope it's not a mantis shrimp. the star is just drooping now, hanging on to rock with only one arm. No "cleaners" interested yet.

Could be something attacked it or it just didn't fair well during the acclimation process. Either way, not much you can do about it I'm afraid. The only suggestion is a few good sized water changes with well aged/aerated SW to help wil DOC. Just be very sure all the parameters are a strong match to the main. You don't want to further stress the star.

Cheers
Steve

Ok. I did a WC. I always match parameters. Thanks for keeping tabs. I'm going to try and research if this was self-induced or an attack.

The lights came on now and I can see him better. There's a big, open gash right in the middle of him with guts hanging out. The thing is that he's hanging on to the rock fully now. I know there isn't much I can do, except watch. I thought the hermits would be going after the flesh, but they're not yet. If they do, I imagine I would have to isolate him somehow. For now, I'm leaving him so as not to stress him. This is really freaking me out.

Back
Top Bottom