It was inevitable.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salttanker

Aquarium Advice Addict
After a year and a half of social living, my large hermit crab was attacked and dismembered all over the tank. There are two suspects at large: the 6" Saddle Wrasse (most likely), or the 4" Niger Trigger (possibly).

These guys never even paid attention to the crab at all before. I think he may have been in the middle of a molt when he was caught out of his shell. I was hoping the body parts were part of the molt, but it has been a few days now and he did not return to his shell.

So much for a cleaning crew. Now that they have had a taste of crab, I wouldn't be able to keep one in there again. I suppose the aggressiveness of these two suspects are getting stronger now.

Does anyone in the Phoenix area want a free Saddle Wrasse and Niger Trigger? I hate to bring them to the lfs as we all know what their fate could be.

So for anyone out there wanting to know if a crab is safe with a Niger Trigger and Saddle Wrasse? NO!!!!! :oops:

Mike

i could of told you that lol...

my fish dont realy seem to notice my hermits except for my late scooter blenny. They would get tis food and it would death roll the food away from them....well not death roll but close to it lol

i could of told you that lol...
I had the crab in there long before the Trigger and Wrasse were added. This hermit wasn't exactly small either. I think he got caught out of his shell.

It was a nice go while it lasted, but these two cannot be trusted anymore! Now my sand is going to look like crap...he was an excellent worker.

Mike

lol i know, i wouldnt know what to do if i lost my hermits...my tank wouldnt look as good as it does now! not bragging or anything but since i added them my tank got pretty nice after they had a chance to clean it good.

ive heard nigers cant really be kept with any inverts since theyre well triggers lol. but i definitely knew saddled wrasses cant be....theyre devious little buggers

They used to get along great, but the bigger they get the more aggressive they get.

I haven't even told the kids that "Sebastian" is gone. :roll:

Looks like I will have to get rid of the culprits in order to have a cleaning crew in there again.

Mike

how big was the crab and what kind if you know. i have a very large white spotted hermit and i always wonder if he would kill any roommates wich im shure he would

It was just a large hermit crab. It would need to be removed if it got any bigger than what it was. I liked him mainly for the cleanup efforts he did and none of the fish really cared about him..until now.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom