Maroon clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacpaq2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
Last night I bought a second maroon clownfish for my 75 gallon tank. It wasn't until after introducing him and letting a full 12 hours pass that I realized he has these weird white/grey lumps on and around his mouth. He also appears to have some fin damage but before noticing this assumed it was from other fish at the pet store. I know I should have quarantined but I don't have any extra tanks to my disposal. What should I do at this point? Should I return the new fish and treat my other fish? Should I just treat the whole system? The only other fish I have in the system is a royal gramma and he mainly hides in the rock work in the opposite side of the tank.

Any help would be great

Thanks!

first never treat the main tank with any type of medications even if they say reef safe .
most medications contain copper that will kill all beneficial bacteria in your tank. and the copper can leech into your rock which will in return you wouldn't be able to keep inverts or coral
this is why we always recommend a QT tank.

information by :reef specialty

Fish or Mouth Fungus
Symptoms:

• Greyish or Whitish cotton like growth around the mouth or all over the body of the fish
  • Fungus eats away the tissue of the fish’s head and body which might lead to death.
Reason:
The bacteria called Flexibacter columnaris causes the fish or mouth fungus disease. Columnaris enters through injuries in the skin of the fish and causes the infection. It is contagious disease and can spread from infected net, containers and rocks.
Treatments or Medications:

• Use Penicillin for treating the columnaris.
  • Medications like Chloromycetin, Tetracycline, Acriflavine, Copper sulfate, Potassium permanganate and Malachite green can be used appropriately to get rid of Mouth and Fish fungus disease.

since you don't have a qt tank yes bring it back to the fish store.
once you remove the sick fish remove and replace any media . along with a water change ,

first never treat the main tank with any type of medications even if they say reef safe .
most medications contain copper that will kill all beneficial bacteria in your tank. and the copper can leech into your rock which will in return you wouldn't be able to keep inverts or coral
this is why we always recommend a QT tank.

information by :reef specialty

Fish or Mouth Fungus
Symptoms:

• Greyish or Whitish cotton like growth around the mouth or all over the body of the fish
  • Fungus eats away the tissue of the fish’s head and body which might lead to death.
Reason:
The bacteria called Flexibacter columnaris causes the fish or mouth fungus disease. Columnaris enters through injuries in the skin of the fish and causes the infection. It is contagious disease and can spread from infected net, containers and rocks.
Treatments or Medications:

• Use Penicillin for treating the columnaris.
  • Medications like Chloromycetin, Tetracycline, Acriflavine, Copper sulfate, Potassium permanganate and Malachite green can be used appropriately to get rid of Mouth and Fish fungus disease.

since you don't have a qt tank yes bring it back to the fish store.
once you remove the sick fish remove and replace any media . along with a water change ,

Does media include live rock and substrate as well? Or just the media I have in my sump?

media meaning any filter media

not rock or sub-straight

run some carbon to help clean up the water
since your water column is large 75g your royal grammar should be ok but a water change is still recommended
and always remember never add any type of medications to your main display or sump
most contain copper even ones that claim to be reef safe . copper is lethal to inverts and coral this is why you never treat a main display ,

Back
Top Bottom