missing hermits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

will8

Aquarium Advice Activist
not sure if i am in the right place but i will ask my questions anyway, firstly i added 4 hermit crabs to my tank 10 days ago all have died, and i have seen my arrow crab eating one. has he killed and eat them all. secondly, i added a tiger watchman goby 6 days ago have not seen him since, is it nornal for them to go in to hiding. and last one, i have a brittle worm in my tank, LFS said it is good for the tank, but i read that they are a bad thing tho have in. what do you think.

How did you acclimate them?
What are your water parameters?
I consider my bristle worms to be part of my clean up crew.

water parameters are all good. Nitrate 15ppm Ph 8-0 to 8-3 temp 25c s.g 1.025 phos 0.3ppm Ca 420ppm. i acclimated them by putting bag in the tank for 40mins them every 10 mins add a little tank water for another 40 -50 mins. as for the bristle worm not sure what type it is, for all i know it could be the fire worm type. in two minds what to do with it, keep it or try and get it out. but i also read my arrow crab could eat it.
any idea on the tiger goby.

Did you test for ammonia and nitrite too. If someting died in the tank those would spike first and possibly kill other livestock.

you shouldnt worry about that worm. gobys do hide for a little bit of time, mine has never been gone for six days though. do you have a lid on the tank?

checked for ammonia it was 0ppm, have not checked nitrite run out of tests. yes i have a lid on the tank, i read that they try and jump out, i have looked behind and under the tank just in case, cant see it any wear, so it must be in the tank. i think i might take the LR out to see if it ok. what do you think?

Do you have an overflow? Some jumpers make into an overflow box and/or down to a sump. If you have any sort of clean up crew I woud not take the rock apart to look for it. If it died it became food for the clean up crew. If it's alive it might be coming out after lights out.

i dont have a overflow or sump and the holes in the filter pipe are to small. clean up crew-- 16 various snails 1 sally lightfoot crab 1 arrow crab and 1 bristle worm. i hope it is just hiding i like the guy.

Back
Top Bottom