missing snowflake eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

z_dano

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had a snowflake eel for a few weeks now and everything seemed great until yesterday. It's MIA and I'm starting to worry. The is a chance it has a new hiding spot but it hasn't come out at all, which is a little strange. It's really small and can actually fit into some really small cavities in my lr. Is there a chance its just content where it is or am I going to have to tear apart my rock (basically the whole tank) to find it? If something has happened to it will it nuke my tank?
It didn't look sick, stressed, or anything. It fed on sat so it's not starving and going to feed today if I can find it.
Water parameters are all at 0. Ph is a little low @ 8.0 but that's it.

I hope that's what he is doing. I'll try to lure him out with some squid tonight.

Snowflake eels are big time escape artist. The least little opening they will get out. Make sure you check the floor behind the tank. I hope I`m wrong.

I am worried about that also. I checked all over the place last night, no signs. I only have an opening where my overflow is and I have seen it up there before...... Hopefully me not seeing anything last night is a good thing.

Well, I get home from work feed and put some squid in for the eel... No eel. :(
I guess now its a search and recovery mission.

I had one that would always hang out in my HOB filter. Took me a week to figure that out.

I've checked everywhere. I've checked the filter sock, the sump, the rock formations, around the tank, under the sofa, even under the area rug...... Nothing, I'm lost as to where it can be. The only place I haven looked is a large porous piece of lr... It has lots of nooks and holes but it is 25# and covered in shrooms and xenia. I would hate to have to break that into pieces. Anyone else have experience with one disappearing for days then showing up again? I'm miffed how it just vanished without a trace.

I had a baby snowflake in my old take who was a jumper. Even as the tiny baby he was he could find the smallest little opening in my lid and wiggle his way through. I got lucky one day when I found him on the floor, he pulled through ok. I'd put my vote on he jumped sorry to say. Hope he turns up for you!!

Another one I had jumped out in the middle of the night and my dog mag a snack out of him. You have any pets?

Mine hides for days but he comes out for feeding ...if you.have no pets and.have not.found him no where on the floor.I'm sure he's hiding in rock ...mine dug a.little.cave under a rock and you'd never know he's there

I do have a dog, but he's kind of a sissy. He would be more afraid of it than anything but it is possible. My wife read somewhere that they can hide for quite a while without eating (i don't know where she read that though). Either way, I still haven't seen it. I check everywhere, every night. No signs at all.
I'm pretty sure it's a lost cause at this point, but I'm going to wait it out hoping it comes out of a rock in the near future.

I just got done removing over 220lbs of live rock from my tank and still have not found mine.Unless it is hiding in a crevis somewhere I am considering him gone for good.

I did the same but I don't have anywhere near that much rock. I think mine might be inside one of the rocks (i have several very porous rocks). There is no way I'm smashing up my rocks until its found, all I would be left with is an expensive pile of rubble.

I did the same but I don't have anywhere near that much rock. I think mine might be inside one of the rocks (i have several very porous rocks). There is no way I'm smashing up my rocks until its found, all I would be left with is an expensive pile of rubble.
Not worth it for a eel. lol

Very true, $20 eel vs $400 in rock.... Too bad tho, cool little bugger before the disappearance.

Holy smokes I found it! It somehow got into my sump on the pump side! How it got down there I have no idea.

ForumRunner_20121030_230929.jpg

It is inside the pump!

Back
Top Bottom