More bad news. Does he have a chance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sergie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
lost my foxface yesterday to an unknown illness. No signs of infection. Now my clown, who I thought was protecting eggs, seems to be the victim of an internal parasite. He has white stringy poo that continously seeps out. He's had it for two day. Has not eaten. Rapid breathing. No other fish show symptoms. Not even the female. What can I do? I don't have a quarunteen set up and can't get medication till tomorrow. But I don't know what's is wrong exactly. Please help. Two losses in a weekend is not what I was expecting. Not after such a good long run.

Come on people. No one responded to my foxface illness post and he's gone now. I'm not blaming anyone but no one offers any advice. Now my clown is on the verge and it's the same story. Someone please give a ****.

I'm so new at this, but I found this in another forum in response to "white stringy poo disease"

"Stringy feces are due to intestinal Nematodes. Chances are you either have Camallanus or Capillary Nematodes. Both are easily controlled with Levamisole HCl. Camallanus are shown by red pricks sticking out of the anus of the fish. Theu can cause stringy feces that obscure them. One has to look closely to see them. Capillary are not so easy to find. Usually they cause the symptoms you report. Camallanus fills the intestine and body cavity with worms. Capillary just waste away the fish because they infiltrate the muscle tissue.
There aren't any medications on the LFS shelf that is strong enough to get rid of these Nematodes anymore because the low dosage has generated super bugs over the past decades."

Hopefully this will get you somewhere

I can't get pics because he's always hiding behind the rockwork. But it starts as thick white, then while it's coming out it gets more stringy. Then after getting an inch to two inches long it'll release into the water column. In the column it'll just drift with the water. Looks worm like but doesn't move at all. Just floats withthe movement of the water. I'll keep waiting to see if I can snag a pic.

Hey bud, I would check out SeaChem's Metranidazole, I worked at a LFS, and used this product alot and sold it alot and had good results from customers on it I might also recommend Garlic Guard. Soak your food in a mixture of the dose of Metranidazole and Garlic Guard, the garlic should stimulate feeding. I wish you luck, and know that I give a ****!

Here's a link to the meds. You can find Garlic Guard on here too.
Seachem. Metronidazole

Thanks for giving a ****! Makes me feel better. But the only problem is he won't eat. It's been two days. He cane our earlier tonight so I tried feeding. All other fish ate but he went back into hiding.

Sergie said:
Thanks for giving a ****! Makes me feel better. But the only problem is he won't eat. It's been two days. He cane our earlier tonight so I tried feeding. All other fish ate but he went back into hiding.

I did a little more reading on the internal parasites. I guess there is setting you can get to bathe the fish in, if he has the right parasite, that is.

the first thing I would do is a water change. I doubt 2 fish dying within a few days of each other is from 2 different things.

If you can catch him before he gets too weak from not eating, a freshwater dip may be able to get some of the internal parasites out. At least three minutes.

If you wait until he is too weak the stress from being caught and freshwater may cause even more damage unnecessarily

A water change even if my water params are:
S.G. 1.022
Ph 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

I performed one on tuesday. Foxface became ill thursday. Clown started getting ill friday. It's lights out right now so I can't get him. Maybe after a good nights rest he'll come out. But I don't know if my LFS carries the right meds anyways.

Attachments

• image-869273889.jpg
    image-869273889.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 64
When is the last time you added a fish, coral or invert?

I added 5 chromis on the 14th of January. The clowns killed all but 1 in three hours. All were removed as soon as they died. I've been watching the little one that survived like a hawk and he's been doing great. Always active, eating, never flashing or scratching on the rocks. No visible signs of parasites.

You have some angry clowns.

All of the fish that I have had white stringy poop survived. I never researched it nor treated except some I fw dipped. It was their only symptom.

Ok I'll try it tomorrow morning if the LFS has some. Yes they are very angry at times. The female is a good three and a half inches. She is a beast of a woman.
The only reason the white poo is worrying me is because he stopped eating and his breathing became more rapid. I'll see where we're at in the morning and go from there. Thanks for the advice.

Not meaning to sound rude but I've never heard of keeping the salinity up that high. At the most I keep it at 1.024. All my corals are doing fantastic where it's at now, isn't that a good sign? I've had it between 1.022-1.024 for the past six months now. If I raised it wouldn't it affect my corals and inverts?
I checked the pet store to see if they had any meds and they don't really specialize in SW so they didn't have any of the meds you all mentioned. I've had a busy day and haven't had much time to try and help him. He's still the same. But he does come out occassionally. I may go up to a different pet store about an hour away that is 100x better than the one here tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom