My poor yellow tang...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimandjess3096

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We've had our yellow tang for about a month, and has seemed to be fine. But just a couple of days ago, out of nowhere, he started developing a red line along his back going from his eyes to his tail on either side. Also, he is getting red blotches on his tail and stomach and red dots around his eyes and mouth. If there is anyone out there that can help me save this little tang's life, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks, Jim and Jess :cry:

We usually feed the tank about 2-3 times a day. At first, it was a little inconsistent, but we're getting more on a schedule now. We try to feed the tank (the tang, 2 clowns, 2 damsels, and hermits and emerald crabs) a little bit of crunched up pellets and some flakes in the morning, then at around 6 (alternating every other day) bloodworm or brine shrimp (frozen), and then before we go to bed, a little bit of pellets and flakes again. Also, we put a strip of dried seaweed in the tank for the tang. Is there anything else we should be doing? Or that we're doing wrong? Thanks.

First of all, can anyone tell us what the red lines and red spots are? I don't believe I've ever heard of such an ailment. Secondly, it sounds like you might be feeding a bit much. The tang will likely eat mor than the other four fish, but since they won't be too keen on eating the seaweed, that should even it out. Just feed seaweed (with a clip) and feed the flakes/pellets/bloodworm/brine one other time a day.

Moved to the sick fish/coral forum.

Most commonly it will be a bacterial infection. It can also be induced by low pH or a secondary infection from HLLE. By the sounds of the above, I'd say bacterial infection.

As pointed out, water quality and nutrition are quite important. This problem can usually be dealt with without meds depending on severity. I would suggest you do several large water changes with well aged SW over the next few days. That will greatly reduce the DOC in the water feeding the bacteria and at the same time correct any pH issues if any. You should also rethink what you feed and how often. The pellets and flake may be fine depending on what they are but the bloodworms and brine add little to nothing for any of these animals in the way of nutrition really unless fortified by soaking in a good marine vitamin. The seaweed strip is definately a good step but be sure in future the other foods are properly fortified. The amount you feed though (3x/day) is not necessary for the amount or types of fish you have. Once a day or every other day should be fine as long as the tang has the algae strips daily for grazing.

With the improvment in water quality and increased nutritional value of the foods, the tang should be able to fight the bacteria naturally. If it does not show improvement over the next weeks time, you may need to treat with an antibiotic in a QT.

What are the water specs? NH3, NO2, NO3 and pH?

Cheers
Steve

I just did tests on the water, and I'll give you a list of the results:
KH: 14º - 15º
pH: 7.8 - 8.0
NO2: 0
NH3/ NH4: 0
Calcium: 340 - 350 mg
Specific Gravity: 1.024
Salinity: 32

From what I've read, the pH and calcium seem to be a little low, and the salinity and water hardness seem to be a little high. It seems like the ammonia and nitrite levels are good, though.
As far as the food, the local fish store I went to told me that it was ok to feed twice a day, pellets/flakes in the morning and a frozen/fresh food at night and to alternate like that so that the fish would have a better variety. So I guess 3x's a day plus the seaweed strip is a bit much. The tang is pretty small. I'd say he's only about 2.5 - 3 inches from mouth to tail, if that. And the clowns might be about the same in length. The damsels are a little smaller. Is there a better frozen or fresh food that you know of that is better for the fish than the brine or bloodworms? Or do I need to feed them any at all? I'm mostly just concerned with this tang though. He was fine a couple of days ago and was finally getting less nervous and starting to come out from hiding all the time. And out of nowhere the red line appeared on both sides and now it's spreading to red blotches on his fins and lower body with the small spots around his eyes. Thanks.

Also, I don't know if this would have any affect. Daily I put in 15cc of a 2 part calcium buffer. one is for alkaline and the other for calcium. Yesterday I put in something I just got for helping neutralize the chlorine in the water. Also I put in Biozyme. The calcium buffer I have been pretty consistent with putting in everyday. The Biozyme I haven't put in for a while, and Jim has put it in the last 2-3 days now. About 1/4 tsp. And I have only put the chlorine neutralizer in once. Do you think any of the chemicals/ additives I'm putting in would have any affect? Thanks.

jimandjess3096 said:
From what I've read, the pH and calcium seem to be a little low, and the salinity and water hardness seem to be a little high. It seems like the ammonia and nitrite levels are good, though.
A salinity of 32 ppt is actually not high at all and niether would 1.024 SG. An ideal level would be closer to 35 ppt but if you do not have a refractometer, I would stick closer to 1.024 SG if using a hydrometer and depending on tank temp. Your chem is definately off but the ammonia and nitrite are fine. How about the nitrate?? That will be a large contributor if this is indeed bacterial in nature.

The pH is a tad low but that would depend on what time of day tested. If early AM just before or after the lights come on, it would not be alarming. If midday or later, I would definately be looking for causes. Most likely from either a glass cover on the tank or poor GPH (water rotation) within the tank. If the alkalinity is measuring @ 14-15 DKH, this would indicate an enviromental situation supressing the pH and not chemical. The low Ca will not supress the pH.

What corals and such are in the tank that would require daily additions of a two part additive? Sounds like there is not enough of a CaCO3 consuming load to match the additions. If you are trying to fix a deficiencey in the salt mix (low Ca,high alk), then I would simpley get a CaCl liquid or dry bead to augment the saltmix. The two part will not help much in that regard. Try to post some additional info about the tank and chem to figure out the alk/Ca and pH issues.

As far as the food, the local fish store I went to told me that it was ok to feed twice a day, pellets/flakes in the morning and a frozen/fresh food at night and to alternate like that so that the fish would have a better variety. So I guess 3x's a day plus the seaweed strip is a bit much. The tang is pretty small. I'd say he's only about 2.5 - 3 inches from mouth to tail, if that. And the clowns might be about the same in length. The damsels are a little smaller. Is there a better frozen or fresh food that you know of that is better for the fish than the brine or bloodworms? Or do I need to feed them any at all?
No fish "needs" to be fed any more than twice a day except for grazing foods for fish like tangs and some other species. A good variety is always a great choice though. You really only need feed once a day at most. Anything more and it just contributes to water quality issues. As I said flake a pellet are fine depending on what they are but meats need to be higher in protein like mysis or better still your own >>blender mush<< which can be fortified properly. Most types of prefab meaty foods you get at the LFS offer very little for marine fish as a rule (not all though).

I'm mostly just concerned with this tang though. He was fine a couple of days ago and was finally getting less nervous and starting to come out from hiding all the time. And out of nowhere the red line appeared on both sides and now it's spreading to red blotches on his fins and lower body with the small spots around his eyes. Thanks.
Start with the water changes as soon as you can. Be sure you let the newly mixed SW aerate with a powerhead and heater for 12-24 hrs prior to use and test the pH as well. If possible, post the chem of the salt after it's ready for use.

Depending on where the issues lies, large water changes will help most of your chem issues as well as any bacterial issues with the tang.

The Biozyme is a waste of money and based on your NH3 and NO2 results unnecessary. The dechlorinator should be used when mixing new SW or tap water before it's needed for the tank. If your doing that already, there's no need to add it directly to the tank. You should also check into if your tap water contains any flourides as the dechlorinator has no effect on these and is a poisonous substance to marine animals. Might need to look into RO water if so.

Cheers
Steve

What chemicals are off and how do I test for nitrate and alkalinity? I have no corals. All I have are the percula clowns, the yellow tailed blue damsels, and the yellow tang. Also, 5 emerald crabs and about 13 or 14 small hermit crabs. Now the tang is starting to turn white. It seems like he isn't getting any better. Please advise. Thanks.

By chems I mean the alk, Ca and pH primarily. The parameters include NH, NO2, NO3, salinity and temp for the most part.

For the level of alk you have currently the Ca level is quite low. You really need to get several water changes under way to correct that as well as the pH problem. The possible cronically low pH combined with the elevated DOC and bacterial problem will only allow the tang to get worse.

How many water changes have you done since I posted and what volume?

Alkalinity and nitrate are tested in the same fashion as the Ca and other tests you have posted the results for. If available, I would suggest Salifert.

Cheers
Steve

Try and do a quick google search, maybe use the key words "saltwater illness" and "tang". I found this website where a few people mentioned Tangs with red blotchy spots... in one post the response talks about certain medication/medicated food.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/bstyeltgfaqs.htm

good luck and I hope the Tang pulls through. also, look at some other websites which may come up. this was just the first i stumbled upon.

p.s. just scroll down that page until you see in bold "Tang With Red Splotches"

I have done 2 water changes since. The first was about 50% and the second was more around 30%. Over the next couple of days I'm going to do more water changes. Should they all be around 30-50%? I didn't really understand what you were saying about the nitrate. I don't have a test specifically for nitrate. I have tests for Ammonia, Nitrite, Carbonate Hardness, pH, Calcium, and then a Hydrometer for Salinity. Is the pH test the same test for alkalinity? That is what I was told. I didn't know if there was a test I could get just for Alkalinity.
Thanks,
Jim and Jess

I would do a few more 25-30% water changes just to be safe.

As far as your nitrate and alkalinity tests, they can be found >>online<< if your LFS does not carry them. Your main concern right now is finding out the nitrate level moreso. Have you asked the LFS if they carry one?

Your carbonate hardness kit (KH) could actually be decent enough depending on brand and accuracey. 14-15 DKH would suggest you are using IO salts based on your Ca level posted earlier. If that's the case you don't have too much to worry about (unless a reef tank) but I would add a tad of CaCl to your water to bring things back into balance. If the pH is still supressed, you should also look into the possibility of not having enough water flow/surface aggitation or something covering the tank is preventing proper gas exchange and trapping CO2. If there's a glass lid, you should look into replacing it with something like eggcrate material.

Cheers
Steve

The salt we use is instant ocean. i don't think we have poor water circulation but i could be wrong. we have a powerhead, protein skimmer, and a filter all bringing water flow into the tank. it's a vertical hex, so there isn't really a lot of room on the bottom. i took some pics of the tank and the tang, but i don't know how to resize the picture to show you. do you know how to downsize a picture? thanks, jim and jess

White is not a good sign. If he is beginning to lose his color then you are beginning to lose your fish. I would start with the ater chages right away
nitrate and alkalinity

You can get test kits for just those two items if you want. Your LFS should have those on the shelf. You use these test kits just like the rest.

jimandjess3096 said:
it's a vertical hex, so there isn't really a lot of room on the bottom.
Hex tanks are not the best for SW due to the lack of surface area vs the tank volume. Could easily be a CO2 issue.

Aside from the skimmer, what GPH are your pumps rated at, how many pumps, and what model filter?

How about the glass lid?

Cheers
Steve

How do you find out the gph? We have a Fluval 404 filter. The lid is plastic with a flip top. How do you find out about the co2? Thanks, Jim and Jess

Also, I have Adobe Photoshop starter edition. I don't really know how to use it. I can't seem to find anything that is for resizing the image.

Back
Top Bottom