Mysterious deaths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jace_242

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, so I am trying to figure out what the heck is going on in my 12 gallon.

About a month ago I was taking a look at some fish in Petco (a place I usually try to avoid) and noticed a Coral Beauty that had horrible HLLE, his entire face had lost it's color and I thought I remembered seeing him about a month earlier so I asked about him. The employee I spoke to said they'd had him for a couple months and his condition was getting worse. I decided I'd try to save him and after a little talking down was able to get him for $10. I have a 12g tank that I use for quarantine. I put him in there and supplemented his food with selcon and vita chem for about a week and a half. I noticed a couple of spots of ich on him so I started supplementing his food with garlic xtreme as well and that seemed to get him eating a lot more. I started to see improvements on his HLLE and he started to get a lot of color back then one day I came home from work and he was dead.

I tested the water and everything that I have test kits for looked good. 8.2 PH 0 ammonia 0 nitrites 10ppm nitrates salinity of 1.025. I chalked the casualty up to the condition he was in when I got him.

Then four days ago I bought a yellow clown goby and small flame angelfish and put them in my 12 gallon to serve as a quarantine for a couple of months before putting them into my 75 gallon. I noticed a little bit of ich on the flame angel so I continued to use the garlic and other supplements on his food. The goby did a good job eating every feeding but I only saw the flame angel nip at food a few times over the last four days. Then today I came home from work and the flame angel was dead and the clown goby was laying on top of him and wouldn't leave his side until I shooed him away so I could get the body out of the tank. All of my water tests are reading the same so I'm going to bring a sample to my LFS to get tested tomorrow to see if they can find anything off.

The only thing I can think of that changed just before the initial death and was any different than all of the other fish I've quarantined in that tank was the use of garlic xtreme. I added maybe three drops a day to the food, is it possible to put too much garlic in a tank and harm the fish? I've only bee in the hobby about eight months but I'd never lost a fish before this so it is driving me crazy.

Describe the condition of the fish with more detail: Breathing difficulties, erratic swimming, skin sloughing, powdered sheen of skin, etc etc?

Sounds like the first fish was a rescue fish and was in sad shape to start with. Sounds like you bought it with ich, and it brought it into the QT, or it was in the QT already. Supplementing the food is great, but you still have to treat the ich. If you didn't totally sanitize the QT after that first fish, then the tank still has ich.

Garlic won't harm the fish - if overdosed it'll just make them not eat as it'll confuse them. But until you either treat the QT for ich, or break it down and sanitize it, I'm afraid anything you put in there will pick it up.

Neither fish seemed to have any behavioral abnormalities. They just swam around peacefully exploring the small tank. The first fish of course had missing scales on it's face and along it's lateral line, but that was the only thing that seemed out of place with him.

I'll run the quarantine tank fallow for the next couple of months, I really have no other fish I plan on buying soon. I'll throw some live rock in there for the time being to cure. I won't put the rock into my DT until the 12g has been fishless for 6-8 weeks.

I'll put the yellow clown goby in my 10g hospital tank and treat him there. I haven't seen any sign of ich on him yet, should I still treat him? I've use hyposalinity in the past with great results so I'll probably follow that route.

Back
Top Bottom