Need help and fast...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Well it looks like i got ick or marine velvet introduced into one of my salt tanks. Prob. is it has inverts and corals. Unfortunately I took down my QT tank. I only have access to a 35 hex that used to be fresh water but is empty now. It never leaked yet the seals look a little rough. Should I use it as a QT tank or should I just track down a 10gal. Also should I pull all the fish and treat them even though 3 out of 5 look sick.. At least to be safe anyway and hopefully have the parasites die off with no hosts. which also makes me ask. Can inverts carry or host these parasites. Please help.. Trying to avoid sacrificing them to the porcelain God.

Thanks in Advance!

I only have access to a 35 hex that used to be fresh water but is empty now.
Also should I pull all the fish and treat them even though 3 out of 5 look sick..

If you gotta qt 5 fish (and I would do all 5, I would go with the larger tank.

I would treat with Hyposalinity. Have plenty of water for grequent water changes, and if you can get it, you may consider using the biospira marine to set this tank up. Certainly not proven, but it may help, another thing to have on hand is Amquel+ and a salycillate ammonia test kit.

Can inverts carry or host these parasites.

Yes, but not for long. removing the fish for 4 weeks of hypo treatment, will erradicate it in your tank. Ick or velvet cannot live without a fish host, it might sit in the tank for awhile, but the life cycle will run it's course within 4 weeks.

Thanks Kevin.. I just hope I can get it up and going good. So do you think I should worry about the suspect seals? Like I said it never leaked when it was fresh and the seals looked kinda bad then too. The tank was given to me. Also I have Biozyme for SW to add bacteria as well as I have Nitromax marine that also is bacteria.. Do you think either of those would work? One other thing..how do you suggest I get a blenny and a gramma out of hiding in my LR so I can treat them too? Thanks again in Advance.

So do you think I should worry about the suspect seals?

Worry?? Sure, but unless you'd rather spend more for a larger QT...I would give it a shot. 10G isn't big enough to qt your fish, maybe 3 10s or 1 30g.

Also I have Biozyme for SW to add bacteria as well as I have Nitromax marine that also is bacteria.. Do you think either of those would work?

I'm not convinced that the BioSpira works, but it is the only one I have any hope for, the others have a proven track record, useless.

how do you suggest I get a blenny and a gramma out of hiding in my LR so I can treat them too

If you can't trap them...you'll have to tear the rock structure down.

Thanks for all your help. I apreciate it. I'll let you know how everything turns out.

Back
Top Bottom