NEWBY Im a little confused and neew help with my fowlr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you click the picture of the PH you want it gives the details. The 201 is 126 GPH and the 402 is 270 GPH. I would actually suggest two Maxi Jet 600's instead.

Cheers
Steve

heres the thing though my lfs i dont think sells them. i am hopefully going to loon into it tomorrow mayb. i know they have most hagen stuff though. so woould those to b ok with the ac 200

Hagen would not be my first choice for PH's but if you feel the HOB ac 200 model keeps up it's flow, then you might get by with just one PH. If that's the case I would opt for the 301 instead just to be safe. Just keep the HOB and PH at opposite end so they create a more caotic flow. You want to avoid circular water motion if possible.

Ideally, I would skip the HOB and just get 2x301's and rely more on LR and sand for natural filtration.

Cheers
Steve

k mayb ill just use 2 301's will they be adequate though. ill save the ac 200 for mayb aerationg sw that i am going to add to the tank. also i was just wondering when using dead sand do i mix it with the livesand together, and do i ahve to acclimate the sand and LR to the tank or can i just stick it in. i have alos heard i can have 4 fish. wodnerin if this is alright:

2 false percula clownfish
1 yellow clown goby
1 royal gramma

and does n e one have n e advice on setting up the LR i think its called aquascaping

wilson said:
k mayb ill just use 2 301's will they be adequate though. ill save the ac 200 for mayb aerationg sw that i am going to add to the tank.
The two powerheads would work just fine and the HOB would be good for mixing your new water.

also i was just wondering when using dead sand do i mix it with the livesand together, and do i ahve to acclimate the sand and LR to the tank or can i just stick it in.
None need to be acclimated but you may wish to "dip" the LR in some salinated selzer water for a minute or two before placing in the main tank to get rid of unwanted hitchikers. If pre-cured LFS rock, it may not be necessary.

Add the dead sand then the rock and place the LS around the rock and atop the dead sand. FWIW, you don't need the LS unless it's cultivated from an existing tank. Bagged live sand is a gimicky waste of money IMO. Especially if you are using LR.

i have alos heard i can have 4 fish. wodnerin if this is alright:

2 false percula clownfish
1 yellow clown goby
1 royal gramma
Actually in a 20 gal, 3 would be a safer number. The two clowns would be fine but only one of the other two.

and does n e one have n e advice on setting up the LR i think its called aquascaping
This ones more a personal choice with many but personally I find it much easier to aquacape placing the smaller pieces on the bottom. Push them into the sand so they are stable and then stack the larger pieces on top. Finding crevaces that fit well together will wedge the rock making it more stable.

Cheers
Steve

so if i put dead sand in the tank the live rock will make it live

wat i meant to say was will live sand make the dead rock live. so if there is a little bit of LS will the dead sand become live after the cycle. also will the dead snad look like the LS

will the thermometer i ahve now b fine with a saltwater aquarum. it just floats around.

wilson said:
wat i meant to say was will live sand make the dead rock live.
Providing the sand has any viable bacteria in it, it will. FWIW, what you are talking about is basically bacterial colonization in which any decaying matter will accomplish the same thing and cost you zip. Adding bagged wet sand IMO, is a complete waste of money. If you are able to add sand from another established tank or properly seeded sand chalked full of life, that's a different story and usually well worth the money albeit pricey.

so if there is a little bit of LS will the dead sand become live after the cycle. also will the dead snad look like the LS
There is no difference in appearance between LS and dead base sand provided they are both the same type... ie oolitic aragonite or the like. The "Life" is a combination of micro/macro fauna and bacteria. Anything added to the tank that either allows creation of or colonization for, will transfer to the lifeless sand or rock.

ill the thermometer i ahve now b fine with a saltwater aquarum. it just floats around
Unless it is a proper titanium heater (which I suspect it isn't), I would replace it as soon as possible. It will most likely corrode and cause you problems. If it is titanium, just get a suction bracket from the LFS. Should only cost a few bucks :wink:

Cheers
Steve

n not the heater the thermometer. and where do i buy the dead sand u were talkin aobut

if i get a skimmer i was just wondering if it would be chaeper just to amke a skimmer (if possible) and how or to buy one

wilson said:
n not the heater the thermometer. and where do i buy the dead sand u were talkin aobut
DOH!! :oops: Sorry about that. I have no idea what themometer you have now but if it just floats about you can also get a suction bracket for that as well to keep it in one place. Make sure it is positioned in an area away from PH's and the heater to get an accurate reading tough.

Check HD for South Down, Old Castle or other types of tropical play sand. Just be sure to test a small amount of the sand with a bit of vinegar. If it's aragonite sand it will fizz which is what you want. If it does nothing, it will be silica sand. If that is unavailable, I would get CaribSea Argamax select from the LFS.

if i get a skimmer i was just wondering if it would be chaeper just to amke a skimmer (if possible) and how or to buy one
It is possible to make a skimmer but you need to make sure it is constructed properly or it will not work efficiently. I have not seen any DIY plans lately I could recommend but a google search should give you some good results. If after finding some decent plans and it turns out to be a little duaghnting, you might be better off just purchasing one which is what I would recommend in the first place. :p

Cheers
Steve

dou think i even need one or if i just keep up on my water changes would thast b fine. also what types do u recommend

On a 20 gal tank, weekly water changes should suffice. Just be sure you have good surface water movement and run carbon at least once in awhile to help "polish" the water occassionally. For the amount of waste producing animals that you can put in a 20 gal tank, a skimmer is not a must; it just cuts down on the maintenance a bit.

Cheers
Steve

so could i get away with those 4 fish too without a skimmer. my lfs has some put they arent the best kinds or they are overly expensive like 200 thas way more then i want to spend. hey the CPR and aquac arent sol at my lfs. one has a Lee's another one has a seaclone(its 200 though) and another one has a coralife and a tropic.that is wat my lfs had.

k i just called one more lfs and they sell saeclones for 119.99 os i think if iwere to get one id go with that one. those r hang on ones right or does n e one know ?

wilson said:
so could i get away with those 4 fish too without a skimmer.
If you are refering to the original list of fish, no. With or without a skimmer that many fish given adult max size and eating behavour would not be advisable. I would only get the mated clowns and one other for a 20 gal tank unless you opt for different fish.

my lfs has some put they arent the best kinds or they are overly expensive like 200 thas way more then i want to spend. hey the CPR and aquac arent sol at my lfs. one has a Lee's another one has a seaclone(its 200 though) and another one has a coralife and a tropic.that is wat my lfs had.
I would look for an alternate LFS or shop online. I would not recommend either of these skimmer your LFS has. They are very inefficient and not worth the money. If cost is a factor, I would suggest saving up and buy one that will do the job properly. As I said though, even with a skimmer you still need appropriate water changes and must be mindful of the watse producing bio-load. Having a skimmer will not really change that.

Cheers
Steve

i might just skip the skimmer for now. ill keep up on water changes and then mayb when the tank is really established i will get one. when i have more money. its alright to add one after fish rihgt. many ppl have told me it would b alright to have 4 fish but i might just drop the royal gramma or a firefish not sure which one. wat do u suggest. i want two clowns though i heard they are really cool to look at

Back
Top Bottom