No coral growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AZdogpatch06

Aquarium Advice Freak
This isn't really about sick coral, but since it's related to coral growth I figured this would be the best spot to post. I've got 50 watts of T5 HO lighting (10,000K and actinic) on my 25 gallon nano reef tank, so 2 watts per gallon. My corals have never really spread or reproduced. I've got Kenya trees, two species of zoanthids, and one cabbage leather coral. I've got the cabbage leather mid level in my tank, everything else is on the bottom. I've always thought I was a bit short on the lighting, but I figured it would be enough for basic growth on softies and 6 months has passed with no reproduction from the zoanthids or Kenya trees (I just recently acquired the leather coral). They are on a timer and get exactly 10 hours of light every single day. What's the deal? My water parameters are stellar. Low nitrates and phosphates (I use a bulk reef supply media reactor with carbon and gfo) plenty of live rock and sand, not overstocked, etc. I've found it difficult to shop for reef lighting as most stores don't carry anything, unless it's the one specialty shop in my town and I've never gone in there to look. I feel like my options for lighting are slim pickings especially for my tank size. I work part time and I'm in college so $500 light fixtures are definitely out of my ball park. Am I doing something blatantly wrong? I'm always keeping up with my water changes on both of my tanks. (the other is a planted freshwater tank)

Tank inhabitants:
1 black clown.
1 Indigo dotty back.
2 emerald crabs.
1 sand burrowing snail (nerite?)
Assorted hermit crabs that came as hitch hikers.
10 small Kenya tree coral.
1 colony of purple & green zoanthids.
1 extremely small colony of dragon eye zoanthids. There's only like 5 polyps. They won't grow.
1 medium size cabbage leather coral with medium placement in tank.

Filtration:
Aquaclear 50 Hang on back filter with poly fiber (to catch those loose particles)
Bio balls in the hang on back filter.
Biocube air driven protein skimmer.
Hydor power head.
Bulk reef supply media reactor running GFO and carbon.

I've tried to provide as much information as possible!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1417320942391.jpg
    1417320942391.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 98
Salinity- 1.023
dKh- 12
Phosphates - 0.25ppm
Nitrate- 40ppm. (typically not this high, immediately did a water change after posting this.)
Calcium- 400ppm
Ph-8.2

I do not have a magnesium test kit.

Well phosphates that high will slow coral growth and dull their color. So if you address the nitrate and phosphate issue, as they are tied together from feeding, you will start seeing better results. It should also be noted that some coral are just simply slow growers. I have some in my tank that I haven't seen much growth at all from where others have doubled in size in the same amount of time. I've also noticed that watching the coral in my tank is like watching water boil, simply not even noticing the new growth on some like montipora.

I'm running some GFO to try and keep those phosphates low. May go to feeding every other day. I always thought zoanthids were fast growers?

It depends on the zoas. Some grow faster than others. But the phosphates and growth is more about the stony corals as it screws with the binding of calcium when building its skeleton.
But, GFO can help with your phosphates but if you are running it and your phosphates are at .25 now...I would want to do large water changes to get it as low as possible and then cut back on feeding. I only feed my reef tank three times a week to help with phosphates. My fish are healthy and without issues.

Okay wonderful! Is my lighting of any concern?

Yes, it has two T5HO bulbs. One 10,000K and one Actinic.

One thing you could do is switch them out for high quality bulbs. I understand not being able to get them near you, but you can order them in. That is what I did before switching to LED.

I'm definitely up for that. What do you recommend? I heard you can only replace corallife bulbs with coralife bulbs.

Yeah, and those are a league of their own. ATI and the fiji purple bulbs...though I don't recall what company makes the fiji purple. People really liked the combo of ATI's blue special, blue +, and the fiji purple...picking the fiji over ATI's purple bulb thinking it was too 'pink'...but that is all up to you.

Soooo I can replace them with a different brand? Lol

Sure, as long as you put the right sized bulb in. I made that mistake by getting the wrong sized bulb for a Coralife unit I have that is sized to only take Coralife bulbs.

I'm assuming there's other differences other than bulb length. IE I have a 24 inch fixture.

Bulbs are pretty much universal. You want to match the length so they fit. Other than that, you want to aim for color spectrum for coral growth which will be matched by the bulbs I already mentioned. A 2 bulb unit would probably do well with a blue + and aquablue special...you'll just have a really blue tank.

I asked the manufacturer (coralife) what their system is rated for, here's their answer: " For small aquariums such as a 25 gallon, a 2 bulb HO T5 system will support most LPS, soft and leather corals. SPS corals and clams probably won't do so well under just two bulbs. The only leather coral I can think of that would not do so well are the yellow curly leathers. They do better under intense light."

I'd get a coral + and a blue +, that's a nice combo IMO, gives a 16-18k look

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom