Oh CRAP!!! I think I'm Losing My Brain (Pic Included)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stresco

Aquarium Advice Addict
I spent an hour or 2 this afternoon moving corals around trying to Zap as many aiptasias as I can when I think I must have hurt my Red Open Brain. I dont know what I did. I think it was me. Or maybe the Eel when he was chasing the Tuskfish cause he was hungry. Or it could have been a when they were chasing their food, they accidentally took a bite out of it. Shoot it may be a fungus for all I know. Here is a pic of the wound, tell me what you think. Can i save it, or is it a gonner? The hole is about the size of a dime. I think its getting bigger, or my eyes are playing tricks on me. Please help if you can.

Hole%20in%20Brain%20-%20012.jpg

As long as it remains free of debris and it does not become infected, there is a good chance it will recover. I've seen them recover from much worse. I would do a couple of water changes to be sure DOC is as low as possible. The biggest concern is usually opportunistic bacteria like brown jelly disease.

Cheers
Steve

Just to add more info to this post, My tank specs are:

55gal tank
10gal WetDry
10gal Fuge (Cheato)
2x175watt MH 20k
2x33watt NO 03
Mag7 Return
3xMaxijet 1200 PHs
Assorted SPS, LPS, and Softies
Snails, Crabs, Stars, Chiton, Nudis
Purple Tang
Harlequin TuskFish
Hawiaan Dragon Moray
Temp 79F
PH 8.2
Am 0
Trite 0
Trate 20-40
Ca 550
Alk 12.5

I have had the brain for 8 months or so, and I just added a Horn Coral, a Toadstool, and a Kenya Tree. None have been placed near the Brain. I do have a Yuma, a Shroom, and some Button Polyps int that area, but they have been there for at least 6 months now.

stresco said:
Trate 20-40
You need a few more water changes. For the nitrates to be this high, the DOC will be as well. Opportunistic bacterial infections will have a much easier time of it in nutrient rich waters. I would suggest you work on a permanent solution down the road. LPS corals as a general rule will not tolerate higher nitrates. Especially the branching variety.

Keep an eye on the calcium as well. It's quit high.

Cheers
Steve

I'm upgrading my skimmer this week to an Aqua-C, EV-180 to try and attack the Nitrate issue, and i have cut down the feednig as well. I ordered it from Captivereefs and it should be here on the 8th.

Thats the way that the Ca comes right out of the bucket. I am using Oceanic salts by the way.

Just took a good look at the brain now that the lights are on, it looks like the wound is closing up and not spreading. I have know idea what caused it, but im glad its going away.

stresco said:
Thats the way that the Ca comes right out of the bucket. I am using Oceanic salts by the way.
Still keep an eye on it and be sure the alk doesn't drop. Don't want your next post to be "help it's snowing in my tank" :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom