Pink Spotted Goby Fin Rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saulsilver1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm pretty sure my goby has some pretty bad fin rot and it's getting pretty bad since I noticed 24 hours ago. I ordered medicine for him yesterday and have my quarantine tank ready to go as soon as the medicine gets here.

The close up of the tail was taken yesterday and before I left for class this morning I checked up on him to make sure he was still doing ok and now the bottom half of the fin is almost gone. I'm sure this is fin rot can anyone confirm? Also, are there any remedies I can try before the medicine comes in?

I ordered Kanaplex from marine depot and it should be here at the end of the week, will he even make it that long?

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• image-2839905671.jpg
    image-2839905671.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 108
  • image-3601526435.jpg
    image-3601526435.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 92
Also I wanted to add that the goby is eating fine and doesn't look to be in distress. He is swimming fine and isn't breathing rapidly. I didn't quarantine him and am now paying for it.

He is the only fish in the tank and the ammonia and nitrite levels were at 0ppm while the Nitrates were at 15-20ppm. Hope this additional information helps.

put him in a 10 gallon quarantine and do 25% water changes daily or 50% every other day. put a piece of your live rock from the dt in so the ammonia levels won't get too high.

Alright I have 10 gallon quarantine tank with salt getting mixed right now. His medicine comes in Friday and his entire tail fin is gone. Do you think he'll make it until then?

So is the water in my display tank contaminated with fin rot or does taking the fish out of the display tank solve the problem?

I found this link. There is a lot more stuff out there your on the right track with the hospital tank and getting meds. I would also soak the food in garlic and feed a little more frequently.

Aquarium Fish Disease - Fin Rot

According to this article it may be contagious to the other fish.

Good luck I hope he makes it, nice looking fish.

-Eric

Thanks for the link. Good thing he was the only fish in the tank, that way I don't have to worry about any other fish.

Ok so, I have the quarantine tank set up and everything. I started treating him with the kanaplex 24 hours ago. I can't see any improvements yet, but am not expecting to see any this soon either. I'll try to get a picture uploaded here in a bit, but there is bone starting to show already on the end of what's left of his tail fin.

He seems to be eating fine and is very active in the quarantine tank when it comes time to feed. Other wise he just hangs out in the corner. I put a piece of live rock into the quarantine tank and took a reading today and got a reading of 0ppm across the board.

So I did what I was originally planning on doing. I used a biosponge filter and let in run in my display tank for 2 hours and then put it into the quarantine tank. Hopefully that ends up working.

I'm guessing since so much of his tail rotted his tail fin probably isn't going to grow back. Anyone have any experience with fins growing back from this? I've heard it depends on how much damage is done.

Here's the pic. It looks worse in person.

Attachments

• image-1185199640.jpg
    image-1185199640.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 79
Back
Top Bottom