plate coral has a big bubble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

copi

Aquarium Advice Freak
Small to medium sized short tent. disc coral has developed a golf-ball sized bubble on one side. Appears to be filled with water.

What gives? Thanks.

"plate" coral (fungia repanda), sorry yes...

Pardon the lousy photo -- snapped it quick on my camera phone. Definitely gets the idea across, though.

Attachments

• _cid__picture002.jpg
    _cid__picture002.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 158
Are you sure this is water and not trapped air? How long has it been like this?

You can gentley try tilting the coral (wear gloves) so the "bubble" is lower than the mouth and see if whatever free's itself.

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
Are you sure this is water and not trapped air?

Not sure of anything at all... I had a turkey baster in the water & gently moved some water over the bubble, and it gave quite easily. Whatever is in there, it isn't exerting much pressure on the skin(?).

It's been that way for a couple of days, maybe 3.

Try tilting the coral as I suggested to see if that relievs it, at least some. This is somewhat common in brain corals (trachyphyllia etal...) and often clears up on it's own in time. Just be sure to monitor it does not get worse.

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
Try tilting the coral as I suggested

I followed your suggestion and tilted the coral. Whatever was in the bubble must have drained out, because the bubble slowly collapsed, leaving the coral with this flap of skin(?). No air bubbles escaped, so I suspect it was filled with water. About 14 hours later I returned home to find the bubble-thing fully "inflated" again.

:(

I read sometime ago I don't remember well where, but it was light related. Some plate corals when put into too much light they develop this bubble in response to too much light. Plates don't need that much light and rely more on feedings, they are good eaters in my experience. I would try and move the coral where there is less light and see how it goes.
It's somewhat like the Euphyllid bubble coral that they inflate their bubbles in response to the light they get.
HTH
Good luck!

Never heard that one myself but a possibility. I would also look at the coral placement in relation to the water flow in the tank. A long shot but the coral could be getting too much flow and the mouth is capturing excess water.

Copi, can you post a recent full tank shot showing the corals current location and post your lighting/tank size?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom