shrinking... sponge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drm

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 30 gal 4 1/2 month old tank doing well for the most part...

On my live rock from liverocks.com I have a life-form that looks much like one revhtree referred to a few weeks ago, most people responded that it looked like a sponge. Mine is grey with black dots, very smooth, looks like a shiny rock except it is rubbery in texture. Started out to be about 3 1/2 inches across and probably 2/3 inch thick. It did slowly move itself around after I placed the rocks, tending to move away from the light? It is now protected from light by another rock. Seemed to be doing very well until about a week ago; since then it has been steadily shrinking. Now it is 1/2 the size it was.
Some little corals from live rock went through "shock" during cycling but now are all awakening and looking better all the time. Hermits are all fine. Most of my snails are fine, although one variety has had a few losses (I blamed that on blue hermits that were mis-labelled... supposed to be the dwarf variety but grew really fast before I got extra shells). Lots of other life and coralline algae doing well on my rocks.

PH 8, sg 1.024, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 10, phos 0.25 (working on this), calcium 450, temp 79.

Clownfish
Coral beauty
peppermint shrimp
sand
liverock

Thanks for any input...

Back
Top Bottom