Strange Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OUfishman

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have one stripped damsel that ive had for about a year, hes only a little bigger than say a nickle and a newly recieved royal gramma. The damsel will go up to the royal, turn sideways and flick its tail very fast in the royals face. What is this fish doing, and is it bad for the royal?

The damsel is asserting dominance and claiming the tank as his territory. Small as it might be, damsels are vicious. Depending on if the behavior persists, yes the damsel will eventually pick at the gramma, until the stress is to much and the gramma succumbs to disease or parasitic infestation, or just dies.

Yeah. I think the royal gramma will get pissed enough and take a nip at the damsel itself. But yeah, my tomato clown does that sideways things sometimes. I can't believe it. It's the smallest fish in the tank, but it's very fiesty.

make sure your royal gramma isn't staying in the corner because if he is the damsel won . you might have to rearrange the tank that always helps when you add a new fish because that gets rid of the territory he is being aggressive about or get rid of the damsel or the royal might get fed up and bite the damsel.

Well I have a 20gal long, and the gramma stays on one side and the damsel stays on the other. I think they are going to be okay. Thatnks for all the advice.

Back
Top Bottom