Strange butterfly behaviour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got a long-nosed butterfly in QT at the moment, and a few days ago, he's started swimming strangely.

He'll swim the whole length of the tank from the left to the right, and then turn round and swim back but upside down?!?

Then he'll turn around and keep doing it - left to right, then right to left (upside down).

Is this normal??

He's eating fine etc.

water params/tank size would be helpful. How long has he been in QT. Was he acting normally before this?

15Gallons, Amm/Nitrite/Nitrate 0, SG 1.022, temp 27°C, ph 8.1.

He was a bit "shy" before this. He's just started to not be scared when I go in and is eating very well.

This behaviour seemed to start when he "settled in" and started being more active and eating.

Just wondering if it's normal...

I know butterflies can sleep upside down at the surface etc., but doing this all day...

Bit strange!

He "sleeps" normally (in the corner) and also when I go in and/or put some food in, he stops this "ritual" and swims normally. Then a few minutes after I go, he'll often start up again - swimming across the right way up, then swimming back upside down. Then turning over again, etc...

I don't think it's swimbladder disease, because he can swim normally (and does) whenever he wants.

He swims normally around the tank and sleeps "upright". It's just this "circuit" he does which involves him going up a bit when he gets to the right of the tank and then turning upside down until he gets back to the other end!

Although, on a side-note, he hasn't eaten since yesterday. He just doesn't seem interested in food (mysis, brine, seaweed, all in garlic). And, he's not swimming much at all - he's just staying in the corner in one spot, the spot where he usually sleeps, and not swimming around much at all.

I'm going to do a waterchange tonight (Nitrites are 0.1 so I want to get them down). Otherwise all water parameters are fine.

Anyone any ideas?

If he is not interested in food he is most likely ill. Even very low nitrites can stress a fish enough to bring out some disease. I had a Royal Gramma in QT and the nitrite rose to .25, I went to eat dinner and when I came back he was dead. He also was eating normally until the next to last day. Some fish do not adjust well to captivity and that's why we QT.
Good Luck, he may be fine.

Mine did something sorta like that. It still does it today. It would swin with it's nose pointed up and peck at the surface as it would swim. I thought it was strange, but he's healthy and no problems. He sleeps in the corner upside down, I thinks he is dead everytime I see him like that. It has become a normal thing and I don't worry about it. He also swims regular, (like a fish) most of the time.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom