Tang passed away pristine conditions what next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxnonamexx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I lost me yellow tang today who has tankmates of a purple pseudochromis and a cinnamon clownfish what do you suggest that I can add to get along with these tankmates? I have a 55gal. 20,000K MH, 3 1W Lunar Lights, Live sand 4in DSB, 75lbs. Live Rock, 1 Cinnamon Clownfish, Magenta Dottyback, snails, crabs, Feather Duster, Sabae Purple Tipped Anenome, Red Sun polyp, assorted polyps, 2 Assorted Color Plate Corals, Frogspawn, Fox Coral, Flat Brain, Finger Leather, Mushrooms, Green Star Polyps, Wet/Dry filter, Protein Skimmer, Heater, I have the Liquid Plankton and also frozen plankton and brine shrimp for food. water conditions salt at 26, PH 8.2 alk/cal say perfect condition on the test kits from RedSea, no nitrates and nitrites, I feel so bad I loved this fish he was doing so good and swimming peacefully all day and then just slowed down and thats when his time was up then crabs took care of him. I was looking at other tangs or something different I love the black clowns but the cinnamon will kill it. I don't know what else to add that will do well in a 55 gal. I am looking for a different tang or different type of fish. I tried the gobies they are ok but the tangs are so peaceful any suggestions? Thanks

do u know why it died..? i couldnt help noticing u didnt note any type of veggie as food, were u supplementing the tangs diet correctly??

tangs are easily my favourite species.. if u love the yellow but want to try something else.. try a purple tang..!

I think diet may have played a part in it. Not much nutrition in the stuff you mentioned you were feeding. After my purple tang died I learned a lot about nutrition in general. Tangs need a varied diet. Skip the brine, it has zero nutritional value. Move to mysis or krill. Soak all food in a good suppliment like Selcon or vita-chem. Tangs need something to graze onduring the day as well. Were you using Nori or seaweed salad?

a 4 foot tank is the minumum recommended tank size for a tang, but that is recommended. I highly doubt it was the reason the fish died. I had a yellow tang die without cause a few weeks ago. He was doing fine and then all of a sudden dead. That was in a 100 gallon tank. Unfortunately unknown death in fish is a part of this hobby.

I let it graze on seaweed the other day for 6 hrs until I took it out b/c I read not to keep seaweed in the tank more then 6 hrs.

Well I just ordered the Vitachem and also Selcon and I used Mysis shrimp not brine I made a mistake and also Plankton. The Vitachem says to use 5 days a week is that fine does anyone recommend other ways or is that ok? Thanks

if ur going to have both i'd recommend at least 80gal and 6 foot long.. but minimum i believe is 100gal... providing plenty of rockwork.. i currently have a black lipstick naso in QT, and was pondering a pbt until i picked him up and realised he was 7 inches long.. :( im currently organising a 100gal 5 1/2 foot tank

Local guy here had one that ate and ate but never really bulked up. It is believed that it had worms. Some of the locals here use de-worming medicine on new fish...

Do you have any means of getting Live macro algea. I keep Grape calerpa in my refuge and keep putting it in my main tank. That way they can keep foraging all day. I have 3 tangs in my tank. Sorry about your loss

Back
Top Bottom