My 29 gallon reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My new clown fish are idiots. One barely eats and the other so far has not. The reason being is they are distracted by there own reflection. If they starve it's there own faults.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I doubt that would be the case. If I remember correctly, they aren't able to see their reflection...though some fish can.
Tank parameters are? Were they drip acclimated to the system?

They were floated for an hour. I do the float and slowly add water method with fish.
Tank parameters are all great since I checked them yesterday. Don't remember the exact numbers though. I don't know if it's the reflection but they just like the one pane of glass on my tank. They look happy and healthy other than the not eating. Who knows maybe when I'm not looking they find a piece of brine shrimp left on the rocks and eat it.

I got them to eat some cyclopods. My frozen bribe shrimp must be way to old for them.

So my clowns decided to live in my frogspawn. They don't swim in it but they hover above it.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1491953835.478624.jpg

So my clowns are wierd. The smaller one is distracted by the bubble from the diffuser on the return pipe and the other does not eat right away, she prefers to eat once it's on the rocks and sand.

Thought I would give an update. Since I switched to rodi water my brown algae problem is gone, and my parameters are more stable than before. Everything in my tank has taken off, the acan has gone from 6 to 18 heads in really the span of 5 months. My zoa corals finally decided to open. The hammer coral has tripled in size, and the candy cane is about to split into more heads. That gold torch I bought recently, has its tentacles an inch long now, and it's still growing. This all happens because of the new light and a little bit with the water.IMG_0522.jpg sorry about the image quality, the camera on my iPad does not like the antic lighting.

It's been a while since I gave a update. The new fish are doing well. I have ran into a red slime algae bloom and are running some Chen clean (it always works for me in the past). Besides that I have been doing the usual algae cleans here and there and sifting sand around as well. My frogspawn does not look happy sometimes, I bet it has to do with my clowns trying to live in it.

How are the parameters? Cyanobacteria means low flow and excess nutrients. Chem clean can sometimes just be a bandaid.
As for the clowns, them trying to host flowing corals like a frogspawn can be very stressful.

Water parameters are good, it's a little on the fresh side as I did a water change and added to much freshwater. It's nothing bad but I'm fixing it. Yah my clowns are not really living it, they hover around it. When they fight for dominance and lock mouths and spin around they bump into it. I will also cut back on the food.

So my tank went nuclear last night I lost almost everything. My clowns dead, my crabs dead, my torch, frog spawn, hammer coral, meteor shower. It's all dead. The only thing alive is my acan and Duncan.
I'm so angry and sad this happened. The worst thing is I don't know what did it.

I'm going to go try and calm my self before I punch a hole in a wall.

I figured out the problem my salt level was around 15 when I got home today where as I usually keep it at 24. I got it back up to 21.5 to 22 and some of the corals are starting to look a bit better. Don't think my gold torch will pull though though.

It's been a while since I last updated. Just re-arranged my rocks to give a different look. All my corals are unhappy because they are in new homes and got touched during the move.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1499300926.522401.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1499300943.564764.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1499300954.770648.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1499300966.690752.jpg

Everything adjusted great.
I realized now that I only have a year left to run this tank, then I'm off to college.

Sorry that I have not posted in a while. I just picked up 2 new fish. A royal grama and a bangi cardinal. Recently I have felt less about my tank as I have no clue how people keep there's so clean and the costs of maintaining such a beautiful tank are beyond me right now. Anyways hopefully these fish will last longer than a month.

It's all about the water going into the tank. I struggled with algae and parameters for the longest time when I was only able to use distilled water. With ro/di water, weekly 10% water changes, and a skimmer life isn't that bad or expensive.

Back
Top Bottom