toadstool coral looking bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

a_b1301

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey guys,
ive posted a few times about this moody little guy. here's the update.
amonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 0
ph - 8.2
in a 64litre, which i think calculates to 17G. with two 24" T5 lights. they are on for about 9 hours a day. temp is 73f. erm.....more info....ive got 6KG of LR. one Nano powerhead plus a filter creating a good flow. 4 astrea snails, one cleaner shrimp, one hermit crab.

so....the coral. ive had him about a month now. when i put him in the tank he opened up pretty quicky. within the first week he shed twice but opened up really great afterwards. at this time i also had two 15w blubs and two weeks later upgraded to the T5s. after upgrading he seems to almost double in size, he looked GREAT and then one day, about a week ago he just seemed to flop. he wrinkled up and dropped right over, and halved in size. ive also noticed that near his base...and i cant tell if its coming out of him or what, is a kinda mushy yellowish looking fluff???
my LFS suggested maybe the temp was a bit high, which i hadnt thought about as the lighting was bumping the temp up a few degrees. ive since corrected this. they also suggested trying him in a different location in the tank but ensuring he had a good flow, so ive done that too.

today...he's changed very little. i dont know if he's gone less wrinkled or if ive just got so used to him as he is. what is confusing me is....one the LR that he came on there was also a very small, the size of a penny, offspring toadstool which i have removed and put in a different location, higher up in the tank. this little guy, although very small, seems to open up with tiny polyps.

my LFS said that corals can also suffer from shock and the mixture of the lighting change and the slight raise in temp could have shocked him.

any ideas??

Leather corals do what we call sloughing. They will do it every couple weeks. It`s going to happen and then he`ll be OK. In a few days he`ll be OK and then it will happen again in a few weeks. I had one for yrs and he sloughed many a time. It`s just something that leathers do.

hey,
yeah i read about this. so do they shed AND slough??? shed is the top layer coming off and slough is just being moody and flopping for a while??
he's been flopped (sloughed) for about a week now, is that normal??
im wanting to slowly add a few more corals, i think my next will be a mushroom, but i dont want to until i know its not a problem more than just sloughing.
thanks

when i got home today he is starting to look slightly bigger, not as flopped over and one of two polyps are starting to come out...phew!

mine flops over every night like a wacky inflatable crazy arms man losing air.

lol...i love the description, it made me laugh out loud!
he looks even better tonight. it was like a major tantrum. at night he used to jst close up and shrink a bit but the past week was just a total flop...like u said "losing air". i wish LFS would warn us of the moods of these crazy things.
im thinking of a mushroom as my second coral. wocha think? and do they have any fun/weird habits??
thanks
andrea

I LOVE my mushrooms. I have several types. They are so easy to take care of and look really good. I wasn't keen on them until I saw them in person, now I can't stop wanting more colors. :)

The only weird habits I know of belong to hairy mushrooms, which expell filaments when they're stressed.

Back
Top Bottom