Yellow Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madstyle1

Aquarium Advice Freak
My yellow tang in qt got two white spots on body and a few on fins i figure its tang i dont have any copper at the moment. Its picking off my rock that has alage is this a good sign that it can make it? Its actively swimming around but im out of town for two weeks at the moment.

It sounds like it may have ick. What are you feeding it? And is it eating well? I have a Yellow Tang as well and I feed him mysis shrimp, green seaweed sheets, and a saltwater multi pack that includes krill, brine shrimp, green algae, and mysis shrimp mix. As for the ick, the fish just has to eat good enough to build up its immunity. If it doesn't eat well, you can try pre-soaking the food with xtreme garlic. It makes the food more "attractive". Just use a drop, it's strong stuff and you don't want to overpower the food.

I fed it mysis today and nothin and tried lrs and nothing. Seaweed on clip not working as well. But he loves the algae on the rocks and glass

Have you tried krill? The one I use is from the multi pack. It's a tad bit bigger than the mysis. My tang tears the green algae sheets like if there was no tomorrow. I guess you got yourself a picky eater. Try the garlic, see if that helps. Soak the mysis or krill for a few minutes. I mix 1 drop with about 2 ml of tank water plus the food of course. Give it time. You said it was in qt. He should be ok once he settles in your main tank.

Then put the algae on a rock with a rubberband. Wild caught fish don't always adjust to captivity well.
So it sounds like your fish is stressed. Can you tell us more about the system and how long you've had the fish?

My yellow tang died today... just seem to have some bad luck with fish...

Within the last 6 months

Ive lost
Yellow eye tang (ich not eating)
Pair of onyx clowns (brook)
Yellow tang (ich not eating)
Fairy wrasse (jumped out)

The only fish i have thats survived is one green chromis. All fish have qt

acclimation and QT is key , another thing to look into if you had this problem before and buying from same store is most likely there stock is not healthy and they don't maintain there systems , most local shops don't have any type of guarantee which is the main reason I avoid them . it also shows they don't have pride in there stock.

it may be best to find another place to buy fish . I buy most of my stuff online after learning what places to avoid I never have any kind of issues and if I do most places online have 10 to 15 day stay alive guarantee .

Im never ordered online before because im always worried it might arrive dead but i might start giving online a shot. Ive gone bought my fish around my surrounding area an no luck

All live stock has a 10 to 15 day stay alive guarantee depending what vendor you buy from
so the loss isn't coming out of your pocket if it don't make it ,
I have been buying online since I first started saltwater , I only lost something maybe a handful of times , never a issue with refund or credit or replacement ,

Last edited:
All live stock has a 10 to 15 day stay alive guarantee depending what vendor you buy from
so the loss isn't coming out of your pocket if it don't make it ,
I have been buying online since I first started saltwater , I only lost something maybe a handful of times , never a issue with refund or credit or replacement ,

Most of the time though you eat the shipping cost. But yeah if you are having this horrible luck from lfs I'd definitely try online

not always most of the vendors I work with ship free . it helps having someone local to go in with you to meet the minimum , from 99. to 149. yes some are a little higher , but I usually spend double that in local reef shops , some vendors also offer first time orders free shipping with no min order ,

Were all the fish from the same vendor?
Almost all of my livestock came from across the country, to include a purple tang. It a tang can make it, as one of the most easily stressed fish in the hobby we generally see, then there aren't issues with the general practice.

Back
Top Bottom