ADF problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EMTtony

Aquarium Advice Regular
I don't think my ADF's are eating their food. When I feed them their food I find it on the bottom uneaten after a few hours. I had 2, found one dead this morning. The other seems OK, he swims around, and eats what the other fish in the tank leave behind. Any ideas?

some ADF's just have trouble finding the food, maybe you want to drop a pellet right in front of their faces

ADF's are also kind of weird and often die just randomly, i have no good reason why they do but they are a pain to figure out

HTH

I worry about my ADF eating too. He seems so blind and stupid. I really wouldn't feel comfortable keeping one of these guys in a tank with competitive eaters. Occasionally I squirt blood worms right in my ADF's cave with a turkey baster cause I'm positive he never eats. He lives on though.

Did you only have 2 ADF? If the remaining one is hunting food then he's probably alright. If you ever worry the frog isn't eating enough try the turkey baster thing with bloodworms. My ADF also seems to like shrimp pellets. I don't think they eat that much. We named our ADF "dork monger" cause when I first got him I swore he was going to starve to death.

Oh another thing my ADF loves is chopped up bits of earthworm. He doesn't get this too much in the summer but once the rains come back I'll start serving up earthworm again.

I have shrimp pellets, but I don't think the frog even has a clue that it's there. When I feed the fish he east what falls to the bottom that the fish dont get. I would try just putting the food in front of it but the frog is so apprehensive it goes to the other side of the tank with any motion.

That's how mine was too. Does your frog have a cave or something that he spends most of his time in? If not get him something. Mine spends 80% of his time in his cave home. So when I feed I just drop the food or turkey baster it right in front of his cave. Usually he comes out right away and eats.

But yeah, chasing him around the tank with a turkey baster won't do you much good.

The one I have left likes to hang out in my live plants, or under the driftwood.

If you somehow gave him a cave....maybe he wouldn't be so fearful while you were trying to feed him.

I can handfeed most of mine, bloodworms 8O then I just make sure that there's extra flakes on the bottom cuz i've seen them eat them. If not, they come to the surface for bloodworms, if they notice it.....

Mine likes to hang out under the driftwood which is nice and dark, and has multiple escape areas. I also have a 3'' clay pot half buried in the substrate. Usually one of my guppies is in there.

mr86mister said:
speaking of the devil, i got home out of classes today and i found my ADF dead :-( figures

Awwwwww! I'm so sorry! I luff my ADF's so much...they better not die on me now cuz then I'll claim you've all jynxed me lol

Back
Top Bottom