Advice on euthanasia...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

K9Kyle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I acquired a beta fish thats about a tear old from a friend of mine a couple months ago and ive become sorta attached. He didn't change the water very often and as a result his gils are in poor condition. He now floats at the top of the tank most if the time, distressed, breathing through his mouth. I am considering euthanasia because it is very sad to see him in this condition, as much as I would hate to do it. Any thoughts or suggestions on the situation would be much appreciated.
Kyle

Betta's are supposed to breathe through their mouths. They are antabanoids (sp) and rarely use their gills.

Also he may just be lazy, in too small of a tank, or his water really isn't that great right now.

If he has trouble swimming from the surface it could be swim bladder...

But personally, it doesn't sound like he's sick enough to euthanize. Betta's can live for 5+ years so a year is nothing

He's in a 7 gal. I do weekly 40% water changes. I've had betas before, and he's behaving nothing like the others, here's a picture of the dude

Attachments

• image-2429643802.jpg
    image-2429643802.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 77
is he gasping? or occasionally gulping air the surface? i think he sounds like hell be fine if you keep his water clean. is he eating?

He usually eats, and he floats at the top occasionally gulping for air

They breath air. Dont kill the fish. He is acting normal from what im reading. Give him time

Add some aquarium salt as I recently healed my sisters betta from a similar ailment. Keep up the water changes and add some salt. I also got some betta essential nutrients and added it to the water and she was completely healed after 3 days! Hope this helps!:)

it sounds like a normal betta to me...some bettas have different "personalities" than others

Back
Top Bottom