albino cory has strange red blister looking thing on head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nclements

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently got a 10 gal tank last saturday. I set it up and let it get foggy and then once it clear after about 6 days i went and bought fish. Fish bought include: 1 male betta, 1 albino cory and 1 emerald cory (now i know i should have bought at least 3 of the same type but this was the advice i was given), 3 white mtn clouds. The corys seem to just sit at the bottom of the tank and i never see them eat. Surely they are eating food at the bottom cause they dont look to be getting skinnier. Then yesterday i noticed a small bump on the albino. Attached is an image. I went and bought a water test today (not ammonium cause I didnt realize tetra makes you buy an entire 11 dollar kit just for that instead of including it on their basic one smh). Nitrites and nitrates were very low and well within the parameters stated on the bottle. Water was a little hard at what I saw to be about 150 ppm. Alkalinity appeared to be between 40 and 80 ppm. pH was about neutral but maybe slightly alkaline. Also the white clouds dont appear to eat but they are very active and seem happy as ever. I know this is a long post but I would rly appreciate any advice!

Your tank is not cycled and very likely the Ammonia is too high.

The nitrification cycle takes a long time to develop enough beneficial bacteria to process.

Do a few partial water changes over the course of a couple days. Start with 2 - 25% pwc, one right after the other, and then after a couple hours do a couple 30% pwc.

Read through the threads and it will help make the cycle process easy to understand.

Make sure to temperature match the water and use dechlorinator.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now/

Thank you. Do you think that my fish wil die? The betta seems fine he eats like normal but I know theyre a hardy fish. I have a clown pleco and 3 cherry shrimp arriving next week so hopefully I have enough time to resolve the issue

ALSO, I added some tetra beneficial bacteria today

Follow the instructions of the article about doing a fish in cycle.

Shrimp should only be put in a matured and stable, cycled tank. You have a great deal of work ahead of you to make the best effort to not let the fish live in unsafe tank water parameters.

The better you can do that the better chances you will have of having the fish survive.

Do not buy any more fish, it just makes your job of keeping the fish safe more difficult.

Back
Top Bottom