All but 1 Died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richiestang_78

Aquarium Advice Freak
SO I bought 6 Neon Tetras and one Betta for my 10gal, the betta is doing great but 3 neons died last night and now another 2 over the night. I acclamated them fine and the tanks conditions are good, think I could have got a bad batch or something? Im going to the LFS monday and see if I can get my money back cause Ive never bought a fish to have it them all die withing 24hours. I could undertand one dying, but 5 within 24hours, no way.

ya i had this happen to, even under the best conditions neons can get stressed easily from any change. i lost four of six, the two are doing fine, i need to add a third to make a school.

Yeah I definently going to see if the LFS will replce them. I may skip neons and go for something else though, maybe some other kind of hardier tetra. Any recoonmendations? The only other thing in there is the betta and 2 snails plus the one lonely neon.

Believe it or not I cycled my tank with (among others) four neons.
Lost just one during the six week cycle.

I'm having the same problems with my neon's. I bought 6 about 10 days ago and I'm down to 2. When I went down to three I thought the deaths had stopped - the three remainng seemed very healthy and active and they were schooling nicely. Then for no detectable reason the 4th died. I really love the neons - their peaceful and bright - but the loss rate is excessive. I read they were "sensitive" but this is sort of overboard .... and at $1.49 each they can get expensive to replace.

Corys need to be in schools of at least 5 as well. They are schooling fish just as the tetras and need the social contact to be happy fish. You could put 5 panda cories in there. They get about 1 - 1.5" in size and are pretty cute to watch.

New neons die so much, because they might have a disease called neon disease, plus they are somewhat sensitive. There are many other kinds of tetras that you could get a school of 5 of. But make sure they don't get to large, since you have only limited space in a 10gal.

Do not get any barbs. They nip on long fins like your betta has.

So you have to decide between middle (tetras) or bottom fish (corys). With a 10gal tank you definitely can't keep them both and to buy just one or two cories or twtras would be mean toward the fishes. As I said they neeed to be in groups of AT LEAST 5!

my dad but a betta in with his guppies and mollys and they live fine.
And when mine is all better he is going in the 10g with them too.
you could try it and if they fight take the betta out and put him in his own tank.
but some live fine together and some dont.
so goodluck.

richiestang_78 said:
There 1.99 a piece

Wow, that's expensive. The lfs here has the large neons for 1.29, and the small neons for .49 each. The cardinal tetras are 2.49 here each. Are you sure they are neons and not cardinals at that price?

Are the cardinals as sensitive as the neons? I was hoping to go with them instead of neons as they seem a little more colourful and I thought they were supposed to be hardier.

IME both neons and cardinals are very sensitive. I've tried keeping both and the cardinals didn't fare any better than the neons. Both species are best added to an established tank, 6+ months after cycling is complete.

Cardinals are wildcaught and not used to being handled, etc. That's why all this stress is really bad for them and they are very sensitive too.

Cardinals and neons are really beautyful fish but you got to be very lucky to get a good school.

Back
Top Bottom