Angel dorsal fin looks unhealthy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hisc1ay

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all. A few days ago I noticed that the top of the dorsal fin on one of my angels is a little frayed, white, and is kind of wilting to one side. I thought it might have gotten nipped, but I'm not sure. The other three don't look like they have a problem. This fish is a gold angel, so the color is definitely different, and most definitely didn't look like this when I got him. I've had him for a couple months by now. None of the angels have clamped fins.

My first inclination, other than nipping, is towards fin rot. I haven't seen any of the others get aggressive towards this one, so I'm not convinced it's nipping. If it is fin rot, what is a good medication? I've heard of Melafix or somesuch thing. Should I get some of that? Would turning the heat up affect whatever causes fin rot? And would any medication/heat increase negatively affect the clown loach I have in there (I've heard they're sensitive to medication because of their skin)?

None of the other fish have any kind of fin-type problem that I can tell. I'd like to keep it that way.

I will try to provide a picture this evening.

Thanks for your thoughts.
-j

It would be nice to see a pic. I like Melafix for all sorts of things, but I'm not sure about scaleless fish. I just read the bottle of Melafix and it says nothing about scaleless fish. I know you should not use Melafix for fish with a labyrinth organ.

Back
Top Bottom