Angel fish with badly damaged fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nahhan00

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I recently found a new aquarium supply shop and last time I was there I saw a beautiful big koi Angel. It was in a small tank with at least 6 or more silver dollars and was being constantly attacked by them. Anyway I’ve got it home with me and in a tank with a few (5)goirami, (7)tetra, (3)clown loach and (3)Corys. It’s a 3ft tank. The Angel seems happy, very cruise-ie, however it has had most of its fins bitten off and I can see scuff marks on its body. It seems to struggle at feeding time, going for food but missing it or being to slow. Is there anything I can do or should be doing to help this poor chap recover? Will his fins grow back? Should I isolate him in a cushier tank temporarily? Advice please and Thankyou!

Quarantining new fish is always a good idea, especially if there might be a health issue.

Last time i had a beat up angelfish, she went into a QT, kept to herself, daily water changes to keep water pristine, treated water with Esha2000, good as new in a week or so. The pristine water is the most beneficial thing you can do to help things heal up.

Quarantining at this point would not only benefit the beaten angel recover but also your fish in case it has a disease from the previous tank it came from.

Thankyou for your replies, I have set up a hospital tank. Will it’s fins grow back? And how long will that take, roughly? Should I be adding anything to the hospital tank water…like stress coat?

Fins will grow back. Pristine water quality will help. Daily water changes. Not being stressed by other fish. You need to add water conditioner whenever you change water, stresscoat is a water conditioner. Medication that helps with bacterial issues will help with preventing infection to damaged fins, but clean water will be most beneficial. Something like melafix. Give it a couple of weeks and see if things improve.

Back
Top Bottom