Angelfish death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vettechgal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone! New member here. So I've had some trouble keeping angelfish. For several months I've had two angelfish that have thrived and done well after having issues with my first angels. Saturday I did a 50% water change and forgot to turn the filter back on. Within 1 hour one of the angelfish was gone. So yesterday I went to the local lfs and purchased 3 locally bred angels. I drip acclimated them for an hour to my quarantine tank. They seemed to be doing and eating well. Came home this evening to all 3 dead. They were young...about quarter size. I tested the water afterwards to see if anything was bad. Ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 10, ph 8.2. Treated tap water with prime prior to acclimation. I did travel about hour and a half home with them as well. Could travel stress kill all 3 so quickly? Any help would be appreciated. I would like to get some more angels but want to figure out what I'm doing wrong prior to getting anymore.

Hi,
Just wondering what your tank size is? Even with such small fish, overcrowding can sometimes be a factor in the kinds of problems you're seeing. Not that it necessarily is, just thinking that might be one possibility to explore in figuring out what happened. I'm very sorry about your fish. :(

Your PH is pretty high for Angels, but tank bred fish are usually adaptable.

Check the store and see what their water tests as.

You might consider adding driftwood/bogwood to your tank to naturally lower PH if you think that's the issue. You could also add Peatmoss instead.

Don't use chemicals to adjust PH.

Back
Top Bottom