Angelfish help :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
I went to feed my fish as normal. Normally when I put my hand over the tank to sprinkle the food in my angel darts away then comes back for the food. It's always done this but this time he really freaked out and when and rammed straight in to the glass. After that it just kept going beserk and hit different side of the glass and even the lid of the tank. It then lay on its side on the bottom and started breathing heavily. So far it's managed to pick itself up and swim a little but it's feelers look lethargic and it's struggling for balance. After this episode it gains control for a few minutes then it goes back to doing panicking and doing the occasional somersault.

I've turned the lights and filter off for the rest of the night and I'll have to check on it in the morning. Not looking good though.

My girlfriend said he was swimming around as normal today and he came to the surface with all the other fish as normal when I opened the lid. I just don't know what caused it to freak out. It's struggling to turn in certain directions.

All other fish are acting normal.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20-40
TDS 150ppm and has been the same for months.
Ph is the same as always at 7.5

I recently turned the temp up from 23 to 25 degrees as it's becoming increasingly colder lately but I did this over the course of a couple of days.

I just can't believe this has happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Very sorry to hear the caliban.

Does it have any visible wounds?

Caleb

No nothing although the section of flesh above the eye looked a little pinker but i could just be seeing things and getting paranoid. You know how we hobbyists get paranoid and often fabricate a little during times like these. Internal damage maybe?

I've had fish dart into the glass before but never caused any damage. I wonder how common this is?

Thanks Caleb.

No nothing although the section of flesh above the eye looked a little pinker but i could just be seeing things and getting paranoid. You know how we hobbyists get paranoid and often fabricate a little during times like these. Internal damage maybe?

I've had fish dart into the glass before but never caused any damage. I wonder how common this is?

Thanks Caleb.

The brain is a magnificent piece of work. Displaying things that are not actually these because we are fearful of the worst.

I've had a few fish dart into the glass before but never freak out as bad as you are displaying.

Maybe jostled the swim bladder a bit? Could explain his imbalance.

Caleb

Sorry to say, that happened to my angelfish the exact same thing that you explained. Let's just say... My angelfish didn't make it. Some time it occurs when fish are bullying it, or it got stuck to filter, or Jair something happened you don't know about.

Sorry to say, that happened to my angelfish the exact same thing that you explained. Let's just say... My angelfish didn't make it. Some time it occurs when fish are bullying it, or it got stuck to filter, or Jair something happened you don't know about.

Well this guy/gal is this boss of the tank and it was way too healthy to get stuck to the filter but I understand your reasoning.

I could just make out the shimmer of its body this morning before I left for work so it's still alive. It was very dark the morning and I didn't want to startle it.

I noticed over the last couple of months that when the lights go out we can see him almost pointing to the water surface right at the glass and he would just go backwards and forwards like this. I read that this is because they are orientating towards the light?

Does look like a swim bladder problem or more likely a neurological problem after the glass hit (the first one made me cringe) it just looks like he has lost the ability to turn left. He can go up and down and turn one way fine. I'm kinda hoping he was just dazed. Hmm we shall see when I get home later.

I had a feeling that would happen... It's happed to many baby Angels. Sorry for the loss. I'm pretty sure it was a nureological problem. When you see that there's really nothing you can do form the way you described it sound like the angel hit he glass to hard.

Thanks everyone :) the angel was about 2 years old and his body was perfectly fine when I pulled him out. Nothing to give me any ideas.

@coral- yes an extra eye on the tank now, everyone looks happy. The rest of the fish may express themselves a bit more as the angel could be a little boisterous at times.

Back
Top Bottom