Angelfish Help!!! PLEASE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman793

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got a Smokey Pinoy angelfish from angelfishusa.com about 2 weeks ago.
He was doing well until about 3 days ago and then he started to get this whitish film over parts of his body and fins and he wont open his dorsal fins. And his fins seem to be torn up but there is no other fish in the tank that would do that. All I have in there with him is 2 SAEs, 1 cory, 1 bushynose pleco and 4 neons. Ive been watching the tank just to make sure no one is picking on him and I haven't seen anything. I have even been watching at night when the lights are off. The tank is a 30 gallon tall and he is about silver dollar size. I think its protozoans and ive been treating but he isn't doing al that better. The only thing I can get him to eat is some crushed flakes soaked in water and then I shoot it at him with a pipette.
Please help! I really like this fish and I payed a lot of money for him. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I got a Smokey Pinoy angelfish from angelfishusa.com about 2 weeks ago.
He was doing well until about 3 days ago and then he started to get this whitish film over parts of his body and fins and he wont open his dorsal fins. And his fins seem to be torn up but there is no other fish in the tank that would do that. All I have in there with him is 2 SAEs, 1 cory, 1 bushynose pleco and 4 neons. Ive been watching the tank just to make sure no one is picking on him and I haven't seen anything. I have even been watching at night when the lights are off. The tank is a 30 gallon tall and he is about silver dollar size. I think its protozoans and ive been treating but he isn't doing al that better. The only thing I can get him to eat is some crushed flakes soaked in water and then I shoot it at him with a pipette.
Please help! I really like this fish and I payed a lot of money for him. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not 100% sure, but I heard that neons can nip if they don't have a big enough school... I thought I read somewhere on here that 6 - 8 make up a school for neons. I hope someone else responds and can confirm what I am saying. :blink:

Alright, so that might explain fin damage. But I haven't seen them nip at his fins even though I have been watching a lot. It doesn't explain the whitish film on parts of his body and fins though.

Do you have a QT tank? Or empty cycled tank? Put him in there and treat him with Melafix.

Until then, I'd up the neons. That may be it.

I put him in a quarantine tank today. I do 25 minute dips in a formalin solution then bring him back to the quarantine tank where I have aquarium salt and about 2 hours after that I put a dose of melafix into the tank. At first he was swimming really oddly and on his side but now he is swimming fine. I'll up the number of tetras in about 2 weeks. I plan on keeping in the quarantine tank for a good amount of time to make sure he is completely better. Hopefully this works.:) Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks to everyone so far who has responded!

im having trouble getting him to eat now. he wont eat bloodworms, flakes or pellets. All of which he has eaten before. Does the formalin, salt or melafix make him not want to eat???

Back
Top Bottom