angels with Ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angelmagic

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:?: I am very sad. I have a breeding pair of silver angels that have blessed me with 3 successful spawns. I got a plecos 2 days ago and now both have come down with ick. Please how do I get rid of it? Thankyou , judy

The very best ick medicine for cichlids is quickcure, it is a combination of formalin and malachite green. With those particular cichlids, you should not have ick problems, slowly adjust your temp up to 84*F over the course of several days, and you probably won't be troubled with ick again. Those South American fish will also appreciate the warmer water.

hey, you may already be aware of this, but if not here's a heads up...if you have an established healthy tank, quarantine new fish in another tank for at least two weeks and watch them closely for any signs of illness before adding them to the tank...

My tanks did well on coppersafe. I kept it in there the entire time I was aquiring new fish (over a 6 month period) I too, have cihlids. None of my fish ever acted aversely to it.

I decided that the preventive measure was the way to go after I purchased 4 fish and the ick ran rampant. After the coppersafe, we never had issues again with ick.

:?: :? Hi, this is judy again. The only thing they had at my lfs was Ich cure and this is the 3 day that I have dosed my angels. Temp 85. They are doing well and most of the spots are gone and fins are healing. The instructions said use for 3 days. Do I stop now even tho its not totally gone or dose till it is? Don't want to overmedicate but don't want them to get worse either. Also they are preparing to spawn. Will this be transfered to the fry? Thanks so much for the previous posts. Judy

I would treat them for at least five days, probably a little longer--ich is only susceptible to meds during it's freeswimming stage, and you could have little babies getting ready to hatch , and if the meds are gone, they can swim right back onto your fish--i never treat ich for less than a week--usually more--but i am a little paranoid--but I have very healthy fishes! if your temp has consistently been at 85, you could probably get by with five days...vacuum your gravel really well....

Thanks for the reply . I just added my 5 th dose. I had skipped a day as I hadn't heard anything yet. The spots are almost gone and fins are healing. Guess we must be lickin it. I had also added aq. salt. Think it's gonna do. Thanks again, Judy

Back
Top Bottom