Bent spine danio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossie

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have some danios in a community tank with angels and bolivian rams. I noticed they look a little skinny and now 2 are really skinny one has a bent spine or hump back and he isn't eating and stays a lot at the top. I hope it isn't TB or something contagious because I have 5 tanks and 1 water changer. The danios are mostly on flakes and every once and a while every few days sinking wafers. How can I determine the cause?
Is it diet (likely) ?

I do water changes about once a week using prime. I thought I saw one of the rams scratch against a rock a few days ago so I added some salt... I haven't noticed that since. Advice?

The zebra with the bent spine died. All the others are kinda staying hidden and look thin. 2 of them chased after food but couldn't/wouldnt eat it. Any ideas ? I would like to see them live. The Angels and reams seem fine and normal... swimming around and eating. Could it be aggression from the rams? They do seem a little territorial... I thought about medicated food but if they aren't eating that wont do any good.

I would qt your sick fish asap! Bent spines could be the result of injury but combined with progressive thinness & not eating the only thing that comes to mind is fish tb. I dont know if this is what your dealing with or not but i wouldnt take any chances! Hopefully someone else has some experience here with your situation because i have heard of this before but never have experienced it. Good luck!

jlk said:
I would qt your sick fish asap! Bent spines could be the result of injury but combined with progressive thinness & not eating the only thing that comes to mind is fish tb. I dont know if this is what your dealing with or not but i wouldnt take any chances! Hopefully someone else has some experience here with your situation because i have heard of this before but never have experienced it. Good luck!

I hope that isn't the case... There are a few other things that could be the cause of bent spines. I've read some fish can get bent spines when they are sick just before they die. He died the next day
After noticing the bent spine. I really really hope it isn't TB cause I will FREAK OUT lol

if its something contagious... what good is QTing? I've thought about it but i would feel safer to treat all the fish.

Flossie said:
if its something contagious... what good is QTing? I've thought about it but i would feel safer to treat all the fish.

It may be a spinal deformity caused at birth which is not uncommon, however if your fish have only recently starting showing symptoms then it may be disease. In most cases, unfortunately, bent spine will equal death one way or the other. I agree that quarantining may not help but if you are lucky enough that the other fish are strong enough to resist it may be worthwhile. In any case, if it either TB, scoliosis or neon tetra disease, the best thing to do is put the fish out of there misery. Very few people have had success with copper and Protozin, but this is rare. There is no known tested, confirmed cure for any of these diseases.

Shane83 said:
It may be a spinal deformity caused at birth which is not uncommon, however if your fish have only recently starting showing symptoms then it may be disease. In most cases, unfortunately, bent spine will equal death one way or the other. I agree that quarantining may not help but if you are lucky enough that the other fish are strong enough to resist it may be worthwhile. In any case, if it either TB, scoliosis or neon tetra disease, the best thing to do is put the fish out of there misery. Very few people have had success with copper and Protozin, but this is rare. There is no known tested, confirmed cure for any of these diseases.

Only one of them had bent spine and the others ( danios ) are just really thin. Idk how to tell if Angels are skinny! Lol lol !! the danios are the ones hiding and not eating. I did purchase marcyn 1&2 to maybe treat the danios in a QT and bought medicated food for the fish in the DT just incase... Hope something works... I really don't have the money to buy pointless meds

Back
Top Bottom