betta appears healthy but acting strangely - is he sick or just odd?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had my little guy, Cornelius, in a 2gal tank at work for a little over a year now and I've never noticed any health problems. His tank is heated, 80 deg. F, no other occupants, and he has an under-gravel filter. Water changes are weekly, usually about 20-30%, or more if I'm out of the office for a while and don't get to change it before I leave. When I checked the parameters today, ammonia was 0ppm and nitrates were around 5ppm. Because the water is very hard, I use mostly RO-DI water with some tap water mixed in.

Starting a few months ago, I noticed that he seemed less active and spent more time at the surface, just chilling. I read that bettas can get bored with their environments so I brought him a ping pong ball but he didn't seem interested. Then I did a bit of aqua-scaping, trimmed back the anubis nana that had been in there forever and added a little decor cave thingy. He explored the cave and seems to play in there sometimes but lately I've noticed him either sitting on the gravel at the bottom or laying over on his side, motionless. However, at breakfast time he's excited and acts like he can't remember the last time he ate. . .which I guess is actually the case. I alternate feeding him Tetra Color Crisps and freeze-dried krill. Also his color is still great, no more pale than when I bought him. He has spurts of activity, gets excited from time to time, but the lethargy and laying on the bottom really has me worried.

I've looked around and haven't found anything about bettas who behave like this but still have hearty appetites. Is there something wrong, or should I be doing more to engage and entertain him? Any suggestions?

This morning I noticed that he seems to be a bit more spastic than usual, sometimes shooting up to the top of the tank, and then slowly falling back down and resting on the bottom. Thankfully he's still eating though. When he's at the surface, he kinda leans to one side and his back end sinks lower than his head. For most of the afternoon he stayed tucked behind his cave.

Please, anybody?

My betta does the same thing. I've found if you add a tank mate like a ghost shrimp they will be a bit more active but in reality they're just pretty lazy fish!

Does he look bloated?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom