Betta discoloration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yohann976

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have very limited information on this one. A friend e-mailed me to ask about her male betta. I know that the betta lives in a 2 gallon unheated container. More than likely, the room temp averages in the mid to lower 70's though. She bought it about eight months ago, but I'm not sure how old it was at the time of the purchase. She said that the betta has changed colors from a deep blue and purple to almost white and pink.

What in the heck could have caused the color change? I'm waiting on a response to a few questions that I have asked. I've ask about any changes in behavior, feeding schedule/amount and frequency of water changes. Are there any other questions that I should ask before anyone can make an assessment?

It sounds like it could be stress. I got what I thought was a pretty peach colored betta about 5 years ago he started turning colors until he was a chocolate brown. He is a little old man now.

Most bettas lose their color because the temp is not high enough. I found this article piece for you:

Water in Fishtank is Too Cold
Symptoms:
Loss of color, clamped fins, lethargic. (Be aware these symptoms may also indicate further illness or inadequate water conditions, but adjusting temperature is the logical first step to try to eliminate the problem).
Fix: raise the temperature of your betta’s tank to 80 degrees Fahrenheit

Thanks for the info. I haven't heard back from her, but I'm not too surprised. Unfortunately, many people don't care too much about their fish. Anyways, I'll suggest to her to get a small heater and a thermometer.

Yeah, people assume you can just stick bettas in a little bowl with nothing. And when you have nothing in there, you should be doing 2 pwc's a week. I feel bad for the poor little guys! I recently rescued 2 from a dirty pet store, who were in cups too small for them to straighten out and in the dirtiest water I have ever seen! Well, now with some TLC, they are like brand new fish!

Back
Top Bottom