Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2015, 05:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Betta fin problem

I'm a bit of a beginner with this forum AND the aquariums.

I have had my betta for just over a month now and a school of 6 neon tetras for about 2 weeks and have no problems up until this point.

I was out of town over night (left one evening and came back the next afternoon). I left the lights to my 5 gallon aquarium off. When I came home my Betta's fins were ripped up. I cannot tell if it's fin rot or fin ripping. His fins were in perfect condition before I left.

The tank has a filter and a heater which is kept between 25 and 27 degrees Celsius all the time (I check temperature frequently) the aquarium get a complete cleaning routine every 2 weeks. I use the gravel "vacuum" whenever the gravel starts to collect fish waste and uneaten food. I then top up whatever water has been taken out by the vacuum along with some water condition to remove any chlorine or other harmful chemicals. The filter cartridges r change simultaneously after 2 week cleaning routine. Over all the tank is kept relatively clean.

Here is my betta when I first bought him. Since he's been in my aquarium he's gained more colour and his fins have been kept in the perfect condition from which I bought him Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435266466.745310.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	274250

This is my betta now. Today I just noticed a hole in the middle of his top fin. Although he has not lost any colour. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435266681.114051.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	274251

He's not very cooperative for photos lol. The hole is not very visible in this photo. And his colour isn't very vibrant due to lighting and my camera.

His activity level has not changed, he still eats normally and comes to the front of the tank whenever I come in the room or go by his tank.

If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 06-25-2015, 05:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

He's beautiful! It looks to me like the tetras are the culprit, although I can't be sure. Neon tetras will commonly nip the fins of other fish like bettas.
A few things I noticed about your tank:
- 5 gallons is a bit too small for a school of tetras and a betta.
- You don't need to change the filter cartridge that often. In fact, you probably shouldn't. It causes the tank to go through a sort of mini cycling process every time you change it.
Apart from those two things, it sounds like you are doing pretty well.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

One more question: what kinds of decorations do you have? It could be that his fins are getting caught on things such as plastic plants or sharp rocks.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah leave the filter in there. Like forever xD if it disintegrates put a piece of the old in with a new cartridge to seed your biofilter

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice
Old 06-25-2015, 05:55 PM   #5

I have a silk fake plant and a couple of hiding spots for my fish. I had a soft plastic plants but when I saw the fins I assumed they were being torn on it so I removed it from the tank Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435269244.876064.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	274255Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435269276.378167.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	274256

Here are a couple photos.

I'm also in the process of buying a 10 gallon glass tank just because my current one is a lot of work for the size of it. Also it's plastic and round which I cannot stand.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish42 View Post
One more question: what kinds of decorations do you have? It could be that his fins are getting caught on things such as plastic plants or sharp rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc166 View Post
I have a silk fake plant and a couple of hiding spots for my fish. I had a soft plastic plants but when I saw the fins I assumed they were being torn on it so I removed it from the tank Attachment 274255Attachment 274256

Here are a couple photos.

I'm also in the process of buying a 10 gallon glass tank just because my current one is a lot of work for the size of it. Also it's plastic and round which I cannot stand.

Tags
betta, fin, problem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com