Betta fins from lava rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fin35

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so this guy is in a 10 gallon tank with 9 Ember tetras and I highly doubt it’s fin rot as I do weekly water changes and vaccume and have a lot of live plants. I don’t have test strips right now but I have an ammonia sensor and all is good. I did have a bunch of small lava rocks, do you think this could cause the fin damage? The only other rough thing I had in there is a coconut cave but it’s pretty soft unless he rubs himself against the opening of the cave a lot. I took out the rocks to see if there is improvement. I also had driftwood before and he would try to squeeze under it and damaged his fins so I removed that. Before that I had a plastic betta hammock leaf that was doing it, this has been a learning process. I have aquarium snails so I can’t use salt. I hope they heal fast and become beautiful again! Also, I’m thinking of adding almond leaves but won’t that make the water too acidic for snails?

Attachments

• 090202B5-6AB8-4DFD-89C9-033242C19FE1.jpg
    090202B5-6AB8-4DFD-89C9-033242C19FE1.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 33
If the water quality is good the fins should quickly grow back. Almond leaves are a very good idea, don't worry about the snails, they won't be affected. The snails will happily snack on the leaves once they get soft, and both the betta and the tetras will certainly appreciate them, as they both like their pH on the lower side. For a 10gal tank you can put it one or two, depending on size.

Back
Top Bottom