Betta Fish might be in trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deteriminati0nn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I currently have a betta fish who I got from a local petsmart about 2 weeks ago. I had not noticed that he had little white spots on his head and fins, since there white, until today. I am not entirely sure it is ich since the spots seem rather large but could that be possible? I tried researching it but nothing showed up and I only want to make sure the little guy is happy and healthy. I should also add I dosed his water with aquarium salt which has healed issues with my previous fish, but nothing has changed.

Last edited:
He is currently in a 5 gallon with a heater that keeps the water between 79-83 degrees F ( I would have the setting at 78 however it allows it to drop to 73 which I felt was way worse than going a little warmer). I do 20% water changes every 10 days and I can say he seems pretty happy. Then the filter was actually a HOB that came with the tank and I replaced the cartridges with ceramic media and a cut to fit sponge. I added the best photos I could with him not stopping, my camera not working, and the filter as well.

Attachments

• King Filter.jpg
    King Filter.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 26
  • King1.jpg
    King1.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 28
  • King2.jpg
    King2.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 25
  • king.jpg
    king.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 23
Can't see the detail enough to tell. Maybe you can capture another when he's sleeping or stopped next to the glass soon.

Ich looks more similar to good old fashioned salt sprinkles on the fish.

So this seems bigger.

Some of the Betta's have a marble gene and the body will change colors some times in spots or splotches over the life of the fish.

Could it be the scales are changing color?

Are there raised spots or is it flat?

***An additional is is that the tank is not cycled yet, read the article in my signature and it will explain a bunch of fish keeping information.

Oh and you will need to start testing to make sure the levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrAte are all checked to make sure the parameters stay safe for your guy.

More water changes!

It is referred to a "fish In" cycle. The additional information is included with additional links in that article in my signature link.

Okay so I got a somewhat better picture, he just gets too excited whenever I get near since he thinks he is getting food. Though it is still really hard to see even after I circled the spots I was worried about. They are slightly raised, and one fit the description of a grain of salt perfectly just somewhat bigger. I tested ammonia today and changed about 40% since it was about .15ppm. How often do you suggest water changes?

Attachments

• Kings fins.jpg
    Kings fins.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 25
Back
Top Bottom