Betta has dropsy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandy2936

Aquarium Advice Addict
Today I found my brother's Betta fish lying at the bottom of the tank with raised scales. There was slight head movement when he saw me but not much else.

He wasn't home, so I immediately did a 50% water change and changed the filter pad (it was atrociously filthy).
When he came home, I asked him how long it had been since he did a water change. He said "a while, I guess".

So, this is no doubt due to poor water quality. I am so mad at my brother for not taking better care of his Betta, I assumed he was doing weekly PWCs. But enough of that, I am more concerned with saving the Betta!

I understand this is usually deadly, so I am really upset. But any advice? Is there anything I can do???

He is not bloated or anything, just has raised scales and his lying on his side at the bottom of the tank. He swam a bit at the bottom of the tank while I was doing the water change, but other than that nothing.

It doesn't look like he's going to make it, but I figured that I would ask anyway because I'm really upset... he isn't my Betta, Enrique, but I am still really sad because I loved little Swimmy.

Please help if you have any advice to offer.
P.S. He is in a 5 gallon heated and filtered

I would try doing a salt bath to rid the body and scales of other bacteria that he can't fight off right now. But be really gentle because he sounds weak. I wish swimmy the best :(

Back
Top Bottom