Betta Help! Fin tearing and Brown Algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueBoy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Everyone,

I would greatly appreciate everyone's advice. I have several issues going on with my betta fish that I suspect are related, and I am not sure what to do.

A little background: I bought a male betta about 5 weeks ago. He is in a 5 gallon tank, with a heater, and a filter. I clean a minimum of once a week, and last week did two water changes. I did not cycle the tank, but have been testing the water. I feed him twice a day during the week and once a day on the weekend.

The fin tearing started about 1.5 weeks ago. I was not sure what happened but wondered if it was caused due to the high level of nitrites in the tank and possibly overfeeding. I reduced food intake and last week did two water changes (Monday-Tuesday). This morning, I noticed brown algae in the tank and that his tearing was slightly worse. Tonight I did a deep cleaning and tested the water to remedy this. A massive amount of junk came up and there were no nitrites, nitrates, or ammonium in the water. I am not sure if the algae did something? I watch him eat, and most of the food he does eat so the junk was not excess food.

Note: I use the API test kit and have never confirmed ammonium or nitrates in the tank, only nitrites. I never knew why ammonium never showed and assumed it was a malfunction because the nitrites always showed up. I kind of expected to see nitrates tonight though. I do have hard water, but I use an API Water Conditioner.

Sorry for the long post, but I am hoping this gives a clear picture for an accurate diagnosis. I really do not want my fish to suffer :(

Back
Top Bottom