betta isn't dead yet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europas_ice

Aquarium Advice Regular
Saturday evening my betta was fine. Sunday afternoon he was on the bottom of the tank breathing hard, with every fin ripped to shreds. I put him in a bowl by himself so the (little) clown loach wouldn't bother him. I thought for sure he'd die soon, so I didn't worry about it. But today (Monday afternoon) he's still alive, exactly the same. Head on the ground, horizontally, tail pointing up, breathing hard. Only once in the last 2 days did I see him try to swim a bit -- it took a LOT of effort and didn't look fun. I wish he'd die so I don't have to watch, but I don't know if I'm up to killing him myself. He looks REALLY bad.

Tank 78F, ammonia=0, nitrite=0, nitrate=20ppm. No changes to tank in last 2 months.

I hate to say this europa, but I am going to. I think it is time you put the poor thing out of its misery. Recovery seems doubtful and it sounds like he is suffering badly. I am sorry.

Okay, I just need some encouragement on the right thing to do. If that is it, the instant submerge in freezing water thing doesn't sound too hard.

That would be a more humane method to be sure than some. For your reference, here is a link to an overview of euthanasia. Sorry to hear about your betta. I agree with Rich, it does sound like euthanasia would be the most humane thing to do.

I'm sorry about your betta. I know how difficult it is to make the decision you're faced with; in this situation you should think of it as a final act of love.

Thank you all for your kindness and advice. The fish was dead this morning -- if he hadn't been I would have done the deed right away. Thanks again.

That sucks mate.
Always bad when you lose a pet.

I'm sort of in the same position.
My Betta swam into my canister filter in the 30seconds the intake guard was off!
He's lost basically all his fins and a lot of his scales along the back.

I thought he would die but he's still swimming around in a small fry net (wanted to keep him away from the other fish) and he's eating.

I'm hoping he gets better but can't stand the idea of him being in pain.
Should i just wait and see?

I'm hoping.

He's eating really well and swimming a fair bit.
My tank has good water and he's in a net bit for fry about 10x6x6 to keep him away form the others.

I'm thinking of setting a smaller tank up for him for a while and then use it as a quarantine tank after that.

Back
Top Bottom