Betta not feeling to good

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium1

Aquarium Advice Addict
The past few days my betta has been very inactive. Sometimes not even coming up for food. :confused: What do u think is wrong with him? He sits at the bottom almost all day hiding in his fake driftwood cave. He's still alive but inactive and instead of his usual twice a day meal he only surfaces for one at most. Please help me find out wats wrong with my betta.

My first thoughts go towards water params too, although high ammonia would make them float "drunkenly" and unable to control depth. What worries me is that the betta is a labyrinth fish, and would normally go up to breathe.

My second thought goes to new and or stressed fish. Are there any other fish in the tank or have you changed anything recently? How is the color?

What is the temperature? I have noticed the cooler the water the less active mine are.

My first thoughts go towards water params too, although high ammonia would make them float "drunkenly" and unable to control depth. What worries me is that the betta is a labyrinth fish, and would normally go up to breathe.

My second thought goes to new and or stressed fish. Are there any other fish in the tank or have you changed anything recently? How is the color?

I don't know what my water parameters are ATM. I'm going to try to get a test kit but right now I don't have one. This morning I'm going to do a pwc, just in case. It's in a 5 gallon but it's alone and there's nothing really new. The color is fine for the most part but there seems to be a few scales that are light colored. What could that mean?

What is the temperature? I have noticed the cooler the water the less active mine are.

The temperature is fine about 77-78 most of the time.

My betta is still acting this way and hasn't eaten in about 2 days. I won't b able to check the parameters until Sunday. What is wrong with him? :confused:

When did you buy the betta? If it was fairly recent, this is normal, but if not, without water params, it is difficult.

When did you buy the betta? If it was fairly recent, this is normal, but if not, without water params, it is difficult.

I got it in the middle of July so it's not really new. As soon as I get my test kit I'll test the water and give you all the parameters.

Sorry to hear about your betta. What I find that works for ours is lots of water changes until they perk up. I try to not treat them with any medications as they tend to be a bit "wussyish".

When you look at him from the top, do his scales stick out like a pineapple? Is he bloated? You said some scales were pale, does it look like anything growing on them?

Try adding per instructions some black water extract after a water change. The tannins seem to help perk up ours.

Back
Top Bottom