Betta Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freshwatergal007

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm having some issues with a betta in one of my tanks. I have a 15g column tank that has some danios, glow light tetras, corys & a betta. It's a new tank about a month old. I watch my fish and make sure they're okay several times a day. One night I went to bed after watching them eat and the next morning my betta was on the bottom gasping for breath with white fuzz all over him. There were no symptoms on any of the other fish. I treated with Furan & the betta ended up dying that day.

After the treatment, I left the tank going with the original fish for 2 weeks. Everyone looked great, so I got another betta. Betta 2 has been doing great until today (one week later). I see white fuzzy dots all over his tail only. He's staying on the bottom and acting sick. I'm wondering what this is, how to treat it and why my other fish are fine? It doesn't appear to be ich because none of the other fish have white dots. Everyone's doing great. How should I treat this?

Here’s a picture, if you scroll in close you can see the white on his tail fins. I have put him into the container I got him from to treat him. I think I'll run out & pick up a tank of his own tomorrow.

image-714783322.jpg

I dont really have a clear view on the white spots but Maybe that's a sign of fin rot which is a common problem with half moon Bettas like that one but for your betta to die over night it could be parasites
for me, i usually don't use any thing else but aquarium salt to cure all of my Bettas from parasites or fin rot or any other kind of diseases
You should separate your betta into a different container and add a table spoon of aquarium salt for every gallon.

How new is the tank? What are the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate readings? If it's a new tank that hasn't' fully cycled, toxins can build up in the water causing problems with the fish, fin erosion being one. I'd start with testing the parameters (using a good liquid test kit); if the ammonia or nitrite levels are high, that's probably the cause. If not, then it could be something else. Here's a couple of links for you too:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Okay, about the tank my betta was in:

The tank is about a month and a half old.

I don't have a really good test kit, so will have to wait until I get paid for that, but I do have a test strip-type kit.

It shows:

Nitrates between 0 & 20
Nitrites - 0
Hardness - 300 (very hard)
Alkalinity (KH) showed up blue the first test which isn't even a color on the chart, second test blue again...weird)
PH - 7.8

Other observations today:

I had purchased three danios about 3 weeks ago. After I got them in the tank, I noticed one had a red gill. Since it didn't exhibit any other health issues, I just watched it closely. The thing eats like a pig and swims around like crazy. The red spot never went away, but all my other fish looked ok so I figured he had gotten injured at some point.

I did a 50% water change yesterday on all my tanks as my routine monthly cleanup. All went well, the tanks looks great. This morning, I noticed one of my glowlight tetras that is in the tank with my danio (and the bettas) has a red sore looking thing on his gill one one side. Now I'm concerned something has been spread from this danio I got. Maybe that's why the bettas got sick. Do you know what that might be? The red spot/sore is only on one side of both fish.

You need to test for ammonia, your description of red sores sounds like ammonia burns. Doing a once a month water change will not keep the water healthy for your fish. Weekly 50% water changes are the norm for the majority of fishkeepers & more often water changes with a new tank. I would get that liquid water test kit sooner rather than later.

Back
Top Bottom