Betta with fin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennamckay

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I got a new male betta at Petco two days ago and when I questioned them about it having fin rot I was told that it was just the way this one looked. Well upon having him home for two days it looks a lot like fin rot on the tips of his fins to me. Do you think it looks like fin rot? If so, what's the best fix? I have melafix but have heard many bad things about it. It is a divided 10 gal tank with another betta and two nerite snails. TIA!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408235836.526603.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408235855.435113.jpg

It probably is. I love the color of it. Hope it gets better.

I had the same problem. Every day during all mntioned treatments, I did 100% water change. I used two 1 gallon containers each with identical betta heaters and I would catch my betta in the cup he came in.

First I used Betta Revive for 7-10 days.

Then, I waited 2 days and did salt for 7 days, gradually lowering the dose to 0 from the 7th to the 10th day.

For the salt treatment I followed the directions at this link:
Fin Rot 101 - Betta Splendid

Honestly, I would need to see more pics of your Betta. Have someone hold a mirror to his tank, while you take the pictures and he should flare and you should get better pics for judging the fin rot.

I say looks like it. Probably didn't have his cup changed often.
My rescue betta fins werewolf this and much better a few weeks after clean water.
If it is fungal it will need medication

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks everyone!

Luv4bettas: I heard bettafix is the same thing as melafix but it is just diluted and a very lower concentration. So couldn't I just use melafix at a reduced dose?

I wouldn't chance it. From previous threads, I have this in my note pad on my phone:

"No primafix or melafix for labrynth fish ( Betta, gouramis...)"

Betta Revive might very well have it in it but it's only $2.50 for the small dropper bottle that also had an antibiotic in it, and it's a correct dosage.

I did find this to help you relative to dosage: http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/b...ners-read-melafix-alert-read-read-danger.html

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Mine got the fin rot back and I'm meticulous on changing his water. When I got him, I used Betta Revive for prescribed time, then waited 3 days and did salt for prescribed time. So, since this seems to be a chronic thing (June 19 to present), I just escillated to Furan 2. I'll let you know how that goes for me. I picked furan 2 b/c it says it does gram + and -

About 3 weeks ago I posted a thread with pics and consensus of opinion was that it was gone. I think he prolly still had it but it was in remission.

I'm posting so that it's clearer that fin rot is a tricky bugger and might not be totally gone when we're done treating...

I hope Bettas are ok with Furan 2. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408645662.290570.jpg

Thanks! I think I'm going to give him a week in just the clean water and see if I see any improvements. If not then I will try what you suggested!

Bettafix is a waste of money IMO. It is indeed just toned down Melafix, and that stuff is already very mild (and another waste of money IMO) and some people report it does not work well for labyrinth fish. For right now, I suggest just doing extra pwc for a couple days. Clean water works wonders for fish who did not have it before.
Not everybody in he betta community agrees about using salt to treat bettas. You can research it and do that as your next step if you are comfortable with it. It not, I would just skip to real meds. Furan 2 is a broad spectrum med that is helpful.
Hopefully the clean water is all he needs though. :)

My 2 cents is to change the water daily and use Indian Almond leaves which you can get off ebay. If you need help with that pm as I have a good source. The Cattapa or Indian Almond leaf supposedly has natural antibiotic/antibacterial properties. This has not been scientifically proven but there are betta breeders who swear by them as do I. I keep a piece of the leaves in all my betta tanks. They also add tannins to the water which bettas like. Good luck!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409339545.274507.jpg

Well this is my guy today! I think he's looking much better. I used the betta revive as suggested and have kept very clean water. Still has some rot but is looking and acting much better. Thanks all for the advice!

Keep on top of it. It's a trick bugger to get rid of completely. My Rubin just finished Furan 2 and I'm giving him a few days rest in Betta Spa b4 I start treatment #4.

Back
Top Bottom