Betta with injury or illness?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy_Smell

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I have a betta that I have owned for a few years. He's always done well. This morning I woke up and found a strange wound or red spot on his head seemingly appearing overnight. Here are the details of my setup and a picture to follow.

Last time a checked (mid october) my water was perfect. My liquid test kit (not strips) reported the following ammonia 0 ppm, nitrates 0 ppm and nitrites 0 ppm. My Ph comes out of the tap at 8.2 where I live. He has lived in the water since I brought him home.

I use a Turtle Clean 501 canister filter. In it I run purigen and matrix (both are Seachem products, purigen is a chemical absorption material and matrix is a bacterial growth medium). Along with this I use the sponge filter that came with the filter.

It's a 5.5 gallon tank at 78 degrees F, I change 50% water twice a month and replace the purigen every two months.

The tanks currrent inhabitants are the betta, a nerite snail, and two amazon sword plants. I use a simple gravel substrate.

For decor I have a piece of driftwood, a flat rock, and another rock it's leaning against (forming a cave).

I have added nothing new in at least a year.

I feed once a day, usually a staple flake food with the occasional blood worm treat.

Picture:

My first thought was hole in head disease? But there is only one spot not multiple, and it appeared very suddenly.

Do you think maybe he just injured himself?

Attachments

• IMG_0956.jpg
    IMG_0956.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 40
Hi, the speed sounds like a wound. Could he have gotten stuck in anything? Mine used to like to "hunt" in all sorts of corners when I had driftwood in.

If it gets larger I would treat for bacterial ulcer.

Back
Top Bottom