BGK acting odd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshv155

Aquarium Advice Activist
My BGK has been hiding in a log, which he does at times, but 3 times today I thought he was dead cause he was just lying there not moving. Id walk up and then he would start moving again. Is that normal for BGK's to just lay there not moving to take a rest ?

Yes that's very normal. My BGK lays on its side when he's asleep and he looks like he's dead haha

Okay thanks. I've had him for about a year and never seen him do this. Been doing it yesterday and today. It's freaking me out.

My ammonia is .25-.50 ...hard to tell in this lighting. Nitrites is 0. No idea why my ammonia is up ....I think the impeller on one of my canisters is not functioning properly ....grinding noises coming from it. Would that cause it ?

Try cleaning out the impeller that could fix the grinding. And BGKs are very intolerant of ammonia levels. I would do a 50% water change to be on the safe side

I just got done cleaning the impeller. Nothing was stuck but I discovered the filter was spitting any water back out ! So it wasn't filtering ....which i believe led to my ammonia issue.

Canister is humming along now with now grinding after I took it apart and cleaned it. I'm going to do a water change as well just to be safe.

Thanks !

Back
Top Bottom