Big rainbow chasing new smaller rainbows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So here is my story. I have a 90 gallon tank that had ick not too long ago. Lost a lot of my fish. I am now in the restocking mode. I had 3 very large bosmani rainbows in there (4 inches -5 inches long). I lost all but one large male - he was the most dominate of the group. I also had a turquoise rainbow in there that I lost. All these guys were large! I went and got me replacements. Put them in qt and just moved them the other day to the big tank. I purchased 1 male and 1 female bosmani and 2 turquoise rainbows.(I think 1 male and 1 female but they are harder to tell apart)
Now it looks like the old male is picking on my new male bosmani! His tail is not looking good! What do I do and is this going to ever work or is the big guy going to pick on the other male always?

I'm on vacation but told my hubby to scoop him out and move him back to qt. do I do anything else? I just bought more new fish and they are in my qt tank (4 danios, 4 ottos, 1 dwarf fire gourami)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391874821.415276.jpg first pic to show the size difference. This is the old male and new female

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391874866.791359.jpg this is my new male with a torn up tail

Can someone help me out? Do I need to add salt or just give him time to heal?

I would give plenty of fresh water which should help him heal. I had an angel who had her fins nearly bit off and just kept giving her lots of pwc daily and she healed up fine. I'm not sure about adding salt as I've never used it but I know people who do when their fish have injuries. Just keep an eye on infections.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How is the rainbow healing up? It likely has something to do with male dominance over the female. I would heal him up in a small tank then trade him for another female.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, I moved him into my QT tank and he seems to be doing fine. I just moved him up to my 20 gallon tank where I think he will live for a while. I will keep him there until his fin is all healed. I think I will try and move him back into the big 90 gallon tank then. Maybe he just needs to get a little bigger, and hopefully my big guy will be better when I try again. I guess if that doesn't work I will have to try and find a new home for him, but I would think he should be fine. there are lots of places to hide and plants in there to break up line of site. His tail is starting to get better so that is good.
thanks for checking on him/me!

Back
Top Bottom