Black Moor help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mylycanslove

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm worried about my black moor. "He" has spent 2 weeks at the top of the tank sucking air. When I went to the pet shop, the girl told me it was probably a build up of ammonia in the gravel. I purchased a gravel vacuum and have been vacuuming the gravel every couple days. I also purchased an air pump, to increase the amount of air circulating in the tank. The filter is changed every 2 weeks and I do partial water changes at that time. I have been using Amquel+ as well, to help remove some of the ammonia. I don't know what is wrong with "him" nor what I can do for "him". I have one other black moor in the tank as well and "she" has not been exhibiting any unusual behavior. Please help my fish :(

If you are removing your filter that often, you are basically throwing out your beneficial bacteria. What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? If you do not know what I'm asking about, please read this: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Ammonia doesn't build up in the gravel. Ammonia gets disbursed throughout the tank which means the fish are breathing it in through their gills. This puts them in a toxic enviroment. You must do 50% water changes daily until you can get this problem cleared up.

What size tank and when did you put it up?

Lynda is correct! We really need some more information-what size tank is it, what are your readings for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate,& how are you testing (liquid or strips) would really help us. I suspect you have some water quality issues going on & changing the filter media regularly is not helping matters. because you are throwing away your benefical bacteria. Water changes-lots of water changes- are the only way you are going to be able to remove the toxins (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate) from your tank. Unfortunately, the pet shop people are typically very misinformed or simply just dont know anything about fish, aquariums, or cycling but you have found the right place for help here!

i try to do it every couple weeks, as it gets filthy and clogged. i'm not sure what they are, as i dont have a kit. i can purchase one.
i have a 10 gallon that was set up in march i think it was.

Ok, now here's the really sad news. These fish are not suitable for a 10 gallon tank. Unless you can upgrade to at least a 30 gallon, you'll need to return these moors. I'm sorry about that. :(

Goldfish have large bioloads, which means they are very messy fish. They need powerful filtration and a large enough tank to allow for the mess. The symptoms you're seeing in your fish is due to the toxic environment it's living in right now.

You also would need to do a minimum of 50% water changes weekly with this species.

If you choose to move forward with this, purchase an API master kit for your testing. It's very accurate. Do not purchase the test strips. They're horrible.

i try to do it every couple weeks, as it gets filthy and clogged. i'm not sure what they are, as i dont have a kit. i can purchase one.
Ok-you got a great deal of misinformation from your pet store. Goldfish are VERY messy fish-the general rule for fancies is 20gal for the first fish, 10 gal for each fish after. Two moors in a 10gal is not a good situation-you realistically need atleast a 30gal tank for them. Water changes are a must in your situation-i honestly would do them atleast other day until you are able to get a fw test kit & test your water parameters (amm/nitrite/nitrate) and then you may have to do them even more often. Realistically, you really should look into getting them a bigger home (if possible) because you are fighting an uphill battle here. Give craigslist a try-they have alot of bargains!

unfortunately, i do not have room for a 30 gallon tank. i dont mind doing water changes every other day. if that is what i have to do, i will do it. i just hope it doesnt stress out my fish too much

mylycanslove said:

Hi and welcome. You have already received some fantastic advice. I would just like to add that when filter pads get dirty all you need to to is rinse them out in a bucket of tank water (not tap water!). No need to replace them until they are literally falling apart. The reason being is all the BB (beneficial bacteria) live on them and you don't want to throw them out. If you don't know what BB are please read the article linked further up. It explains it all.

mylycanslove said:
unfortunately, i do not have room for a 30 gallon tank. i dont mind doing water changes every other day. if that is what i have to do, i will do it. i just hope it doesnt stress out my fish too much

You may even need to do 2 water changes a day to keep their water parameters in the 'healthy' zone. Unfortunately with two goldfish in a 10g your tank may never cycle correctly and they will quickly out grow their home or become stunted (their insides keep growing and their outsides stop). Not very pleasant for the fish.

You need to a) bring them to the store, if they'll take them back or b) rehome them with someone who has the proper environment for them.

I've rehomed fish using freecycle.org. You can also use Craigs List.

You have a very difficult sitution here. Water changes are not going to stress your fish-living in a toxic environment will seroiusly damage them and may even result in their death. Please go buy a fw test kit so you can atleast monitor whats going on with their water. Even a 20gal would be an improvement over the 10 and they really are not that much bigger if space is an issue. You are facing serious health, growth, & well being issues for your guys by trying to keep them in their present environment so please give serious consideration to their care (a larger tank, rehoming 1 of them, or returning them to the store & buying something more suitable to a 10gal).

i dont want to give them up :( but if that is what i have to do to give them a better life, than i will see what i can do for them

i'm so excited! i think one of my friends is going to take my fish :) he has a 55 gallon tank that is currently empty :)

unfortunately, his daughter got freaked out by the "bubble eyes" :( another friend wants them, but she is looking for a tank

Back
Top Bottom