Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-20-2007, 10:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
Black Skirt Tetra gone mad?

Hey Everyone,

This morning it seems like my black skirt tetra(yes one) has lost his mind. I've never had a problem with him before but today he keeps nipping at my madagascar rainbows who continue to swim right at the surface. Any ideas what might be causing this?

https://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Typical tetra behavior. They do love to nips fins. I refer to mine as black skirt pirahnas.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
Funny thing..yesterday i was looking at him and was like wow..his face looks like a pirahna. He's never nipped at anything else before though...odd. Well, looks like I don't have to worry about it as now I am madagascar rainbow-less.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:43 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

hey black hills seen a pic of your tank if u still got the under ground filter in there it needs to go those things are bad news traps way to much crap under there and can harm the tank this my be your problem why you keep losing fish
Old 04-22-2007, 12:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its been running for 2 years like this and I hardly ever lose a fish. I just recently added new ones and I think that is what caused it. The remaining fish look fine to me now.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Big Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickeralpine
hey black hills seen a pic of your tank if u still got the under ground filter in there it needs to go those things are bad news traps way to much crap under there and can harm the tank this my be your problem why you keep losing fish
i second this, a simple hob filter does a much better job then underground. i imagine undergrounds are why back in the day people used to buy tanks and theyd end up in their garage sale within a year
Old 04-28-2007, 11:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Funny you say he looks like a piranha. They are very closely related, kinda like big cats (lions and tigers) and little cats (cougars and domestic cats). Tetras and piranhas are in the same family. I call my buenos aires tetras miniature red-finned piranhas. Makes them sound as vicious as they act.

Tags
black skirt tetra, tetra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com