Black Skirted Tetra with possible Fish Spinning Disease Possible Ick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skokie181

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have an aquarium that has been up since October. This week on Wednesday, I went to PetSmart and picked up an Otocinclus. My last one died. Well this one aside from the usual thin ones you can get, was acting strange. So The next morning, I found him dead. Wasn't surprised, they can be very difficult fish. So the next morning I flip on my aquarium light and one of my Black Skirted tetras is spinning around in violent circles. I quickly filled up a one gallon aquarium about half full with water, and quickly move the fish so that I can test the water. I have a master kit. Everything showed up normal. I even had an abnormally low nitrate level. After an hour or so with the fish in the temp tank with a jacket over it for darkness, i put him in a baby saver in the main tank so he wouldn't hurt himself and turned the light off. Tonight ive had it on for about 5 hours or so to keep my plants and frogs happy.I do have another black tetra who is acting just fine, although it is staying really close to the other. Attached below is a video. I am going to take my water to work tomorrow and test it on some slides at work. If the fish dies, I might attempt a fish scale autopsy. This just means i will take a scale and see if there are any types of parasitic problems. The fish is still alive, although i hope not for long I hate having to watch it, but i don't know if it is actually dieing.

Welcome to AA!! Can you please post your exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph? Is the fish in question a new fish or one you have had for awhile? Does it have any other symtpoms than spinning? Do you quarantine any new fish you purchase for a couple of weeks before adding it to the tank? Some more information will help!

Back
Top Bottom